Help me understand these trucks

natesparling

I can get you the correct disc brake swap information once I can verify which axle is on the truck. 

Again a pic of what your working with in regards the the throttle cable will help us help you :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late reply and update to the thread. Work has been taking up all my time recently!

Here is an album of a few pics of the axles. For space in the page sake I am just going to leave them in the link and not post them directly here.

http://imgur.com/a/WwZkJ

I should have the brakes done tonight after work I am hoping! I got it all installed last week and was having problems getting brake pressure so I disconnected the hard lines from the 3 flex lines (two in the front and the one to the rear) and made sure I got fluid to all of that and I did. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the flex lines and put some compressed air through them and some real nasty gunk and crap came out. I am assuming the lines need to be replaced so I am going to buy all of that from Rock Auto. For now though I am just going to roll with it. I am going to bleed the brakes tonight hopefully and then hopefully the thing will have brakes.

I got the throttle figured out. Turns out the carb came out of a 510 wagon which used a throttle linkage. I engineered a throttle cable bracket and a lever arm that bolted the the fork on the carb. It looks way rigged together but I am trying to get this thing on the road without spending much :P I am deciding if I want to just eat the money and get a weber 32/36 or decide to do something else engine wise. Kinda want to stick a KA24 in it but not sure how nice that will play with the 4x4 dealio so might just stick with the L20B.

When frustrated with the brakes or when without a helper I have been tearing apart the interior and deep cleaning the truck. Its had one other owner and been on a farm all of its life so its pretty gross. I have been using a rust removing pad on a drill and been buffing the floorboard under the seat back to bare metal to be recoated as it has some surface rust. I am trying to figure out what to do with the foot wells as they both have wholes in them.

I also have been decluttering the outside. I drilled out the rivets in the fake hood scoop. Took off that hideous rear bumper. I also took off the headlight shade things and have been working my way towards the cab lights.

All in all it is really coming along. After I get it in good mechanical order I am going to strip the outside and start prepping it to be painted!

• Like 3

If the brake lines are so clogged that fluid won't come out, you need to replace them before you can try to drive it. A swollen brake line will not allow the brakes to release once they have been applied.

When you say there are holes in the wheel wells, do you mean the toe boards of the cab? Or are you talking about holes that do not go into the cab?

I hear the voice in your head telling you to worry about things that don't really NEED attention, like the paint. Take it one job at a time and don't jump into body work and paint before you've put some miles on it. Nothing stalls a project like paint and body work and a stalled project runs the risk of becoming a derelict project, one that gets abandoned. We all know what happens to abandoned projects, so don't let that happen to you. I'm going to venture a guess and say that 50% of all car or truck projects that are disassembled for paint and sanded down, never actually get a healthy, good looking paint coating ever applied again. It's sad to see.

I say don't worry about the paint. You'll get much more pleasure out of driving it than you will get out of painting it.

• Like 2