It's been a bit since I've done anything on the Niva because of the winter, so i decided to bring some small stuff inside and work on it in the warm.
First order of business was a pair of panels that bolt inside the front wheelarches and are supposed to keep mud out of a rust-prone area. Unfortunately mud was allowed to sit in there for quite some time, rusting the removable panels as well as the body of the car (as seen in a previous post).
New panels are available, but are a bit hard to find, and I had the materials to make some of my own sitting around, so that's what I decided to do. No pictures of the process, but it was pretty standard; trace, cut, bend, drill. The new ones are much lighter, and not going to rust due to being aluminum, which is great.
I will be picking some rivets up tomorrow to attach the rubber liners.