Oil pressure gauge?

Cary

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to tap anything. Those motors have an oil pressure switch for the dummy light and if it's 4x4 it's possibly already equipped with a pressure sending unit.

The connection you refer is the oil pressure switch. Temp senders are in the manifold.

You can just buy stock parts. If its a 720 you can buy factory volt and oil gauges and the wiring is already there for them minus 1 wire in the engine bay.

If its a d21, i would bet it's a similar scenario, though i don't know the details.

One important note. The thread pitch o on the oil sender is not metric or standard. Its British Pipe Thread.

You have to search for a place that sells those fittings. I don't think home depot or osh sells them. At least, that was awhile back when I tried looking for them. You have to find a place like royal brass in san Jose, not sure where u live.

Go to a speed parts shop, they'll probably have what you need. The aftermarket fittings I have are 1/8" 27 NPT, so I had to tap the block for that. It's barely different than 1/8" 28 BSPT in the block but enough that they wouldn't work together. I'm using an AN "T" fitting for a gauge and spray bar.

Mechanical oil gauge hook up is risky

Just  a warning about threads on the sending unit. I put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge into a 924 (Porsche) years ago. One night I lost all oil pressure. The sending unit had broken off where it threads into the block. In hindsight I realized the threads were incorrect on the sending unit. I pulled over immediately but still ruined the turbo bearing seals. Very hard lesson.

Go to a speed parts shop, they'll probably have what you need. The aftermarket fittings I have are 1/8" 27 NPT, so I had to tap the block for that. It's barely different than 1/8" 28 BSPT in the block but enough that they wouldn't work together. I'm using an AN "T" fitting for a gauge and spray bar.

I did similar to my block... 1/8 -28 bsp can be opened up with a 1/8-27 npt... if doing this to a running motor buy a bsp to npt adaptor easiest was is eBay for that..

you could tap the block but that scares me if you can't capture all the metal chips... I did the mod while i was cleaning the motor and all the galleys got washed out.... ...

There is Only. 002 difference in the thread pitch so The stock oil pressure sender will thread in still and work...

I did similar to my block... 1/8 -28 bsp can be opened up with a 1/8-27 npt... if doing this to a running motor buy a bsp to npt adaptor easiest was is eBay for that..

you could tap the block but that scares me if you can't capture all the metal chips... I did the mod while i was cleaning the motor and all the galleys got washed out.... ...

There is Only. 002 difference in the thread pitch so The stock oil pressure sender will thread in still and work...

O!Riley [or whatever name they go by today] has the proper BTS to SAE adapter on their shelf.

Waste the money on an electric oil gauge. Mechanical oil gauge hook up is risky-anf messy when that tiny clear hose pops and leaks from behind your dash.

Or use real braided lines with AN fittings. That's what I have. Shit, ice maker tubing is better than the junk that comes with the $30 auto zone gauge set.

O!Riley [or whatever name they go by today] has the proper BTS to SAE adapter on their shelf.

I had to look that up since We just got an orielly and yes they have the adaptor for $6... definately the way to go. .

Screenshot_20170620-061553_zpsfuzqdg8l.p

Go electric those AutoZone mechanical ones are junk...

You can even add a tee adaptor a keep the stock light and sender working....

Depending on the vehicle, I usually prefer a mechanical gauge over an electronic one. Mechanical gauges don't lie, while electronic gauges can. If you have poor grounds...

A few of you have mentioned that the plastic hose on a mechanical gauge is a danger. Yes, but you can easily run steel braided line in place of it. -3 AN is as big as you need. When going through the firewall, you can use a grommet to seal it and protect it, but I like to use bulkhead fittings. Not only does this rule out any potential abrasion failure, it also makes it so that if you want to remove the gauge cluster, you can simply disconnect the hose from the fitting on the firewall (not having to mess with the fitting on the back of the gauge, which may be hard to reach).

If multiple devices are desired ie- electrical gauge sender, spray bar, low oil pressure light, mechanical gauge, etc, I run a -3 AN hose to a junction block on the fender well, and then tee off from that. I have seen many engine block mounted tees break from the weight of too many things attached to it.

If you don't want to use an adapter fitting at the block (NPT to BSPT) then you can simply tap the hole in the block to 1/8" NPT. This can even be done with a heavy coating of grease on the tap, which will catch the shavings from the block. Ideally, you would tap the hole before the engine is assembled, but in a pinch, you can do it with grease.

• Like 2