topline oil pump opinions

nissan720

just got engine components back from machine shop.got rebuild parts as well.i got a topline oil pump never heard of them before.i asked specifically a melling oil pump ,but the parts ordering lady told me thats what they use on  a lot of their engine rebuilds.she doesn't really want to take it back.stating that no one told here specifically,may have to eat cost on this one!

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

​Never heard of them. A lot of parts are made cheaply in China,,, so?

I use the D21 Hardbody high volume oil pumps from the KA24E and KA24DE engines. The rotors are 13% longer than the L and Z series pumps and deliver more oil at low seeds. Don't cheap out on the oil pump, it's the heart of any engine.  

Maybe run it till their warranty runs out then switch.

• Like 2

Are there upgraded oil pumps for the Ka24e motors? I was told the pump out of a turbo z car was the pump to go with If I needed the extra oil pressure. (Ka24e-t)

These (zx turbo automatic only) are also higher volume but I've never had one apart to see. They don't share the same part numbers with the KA high volume pumps so I can only recomend the KA ones. The KA pumps cannot fit a longer rotor in them... it's maxed out in the case.

Here's what I observed putting a very used KA oil pump into my old very well used high mileage L20B in my truck. The hot oil idle pressire was 17 PSI. With no other changes but instaling a wrecking yard KA oil pump the hot oil pressure jumped to 28PSI. The 'new' pump moved more oil and was able to build higher pressure at low speeds because it could supply oil faster than it could bleed past all the worn bearings. Naturally full oil pressure remains the same at about 55/60 PSI and is a function of the relief spring pressure. I have had a KA pump on all my L and Z series engines. Thes would be invaluable if running a spray bar or oil cooler.

The difference is not apprent from the outside when mounted and I bet there are a lot out ther that havebeen sold stock pumps thinking they are high volume. Know the difference by looking down the inlet port before installing them. I've posted pictures before of what to look for.

if that's the case (the KA24e oil pump working in the L20) you would think that the L28ET oil pump would also work for the L20 since it's used on the KA24e turbo applications and people using oil coolers and such on NA motors.

• Like 1

Not quite what I said. The L28ETurbo automatic high volume oil pump will work in any L series 4 or 6 cylinder engine, even the LD28 diesel... yes. 

The L28ET pump does not share the same part numbers as the KA oil pumps, so I assume they are not exactly the same... they might be though. I could find no internal parts that matched or could be swapped by part numbers.

All my experience is with the KA pumps which I totally rely on and have taken apart on several occasions and measured.

The KA pumps are much more plentiful to find in wrecking yards than the L28ET turbo automatic cars. Yes it was only the automatic turbo that got the high volume pump.

It's important that you know what to look for and check to be sure you are not being sold a regular pump for a high volume one.

Yes the KA24E from '88-'91??? S13 had the external pump also. I mention the Hardbody because both E and DEs had them. As for the castings and the lettering/numbers, there are too many to draw definite distinctions about which was wich. I have at least a dozen pumps at home and they all have different casting letters or numbers. The real difference is the internal parts and machining and I wouldn't go get one off an engine based on this. Only by removing and inspecting can to tell definitively.

Yes the turbo pump may very well be the same as the KA high volume pumps, just 6 or more years older. None of Nissan's part numbers cross referance the case or internal trochoid rotors.

• Like 1