83 720 pickup transmissions issues

Hello,

I have a 85 Nissan/Datsun 720 kingcab pickup. It has a z24 engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I recently replaced the clutch,pressure plate and bearing. The transmission is still not working correctly. It makes a loud scraping noise. My question is did I put in the right clutch kit? Even thought it's a 1983 truck the transmission tag says 12/92. Is there a difference between a 83 clutch and a 82 clutch?

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The noise is not all the time. It does stop when I push the clutch in. I've had the differential and u joints looked at, they work fine. The transmission works out of the truck. It shifts through all the gears.

Sounds like the input shaft bearing.

• Like 1

The weak spot in them transmissions is the cluster gear bearing, if you continue to drive it/run it a single bearing can come out and get between the gears and totally waste the transmission, I had that happen to me just because I wanted to get back home(6 blocks from home), by the time I got back I had no 5th or rev gears because the cluster gear shaft got broke as I just had to get back home, if I had stopped I might have been able to replace the bearing and put it back together, but no, I had to get back home, it happened in the Safeway parking lot going 5mph when the cluster gear shaft broke, it shook the whole truck when it happened.

If you push in the clutch and put it in gear and the noise stops, it's time to drop the transmission and fix it.

• Like 1

Was it making noise before? Was the clutch change to get rid of this noise?

Noise that goes away when the clutch pedal is down is in the transmission.

Counter shaft bearing just below the input shaft bearing is the weak point on these, as wayno said. Front cover must come off and the front case separated from the rest of the transmission but a gear puller and a hammer (plus a new bearing) should fix the problem. Should. If this bearing has failed there will be more wear elsewhere.

• Like 1

It started making the noise. I thought it was the clutch so I replaced it. The noise is still there. Though maybe I put the clutch in wrong or maybe got the wrong part. That's why I asked if there was a difference between an 83 and 82 transmission since the transmission tag says 12/92.

I will check the input shaft counter shaft bearings.

• Like 1

12/82 is about half way into the '83 model year. I know, makes no sense, but the production year change is near June/July for Nissan. The Z22 changed into the Z24 engine around October.

If you find any Z series transmission it will work as long as the length is the same but be sure to keep the release collar you have (but get a new bearing) just in case..

• Like 1

Did it ruin the front case?

Just because the cluster gear bearing is toast doesn't mean the whole thing is toast, I have had the front bearing cover get busted, I just got another one and a bearing, cleaned it up, put it back together and I was good for another 5 years.

I also have had the front cluster gear bearing hole get buggered up and I took it to a machine shop I know of and had them turn it out to the larger bearing.

You can even just find another front case, but if you are having a shop do the repair, then it is cheaper to just find a good used transmission.

• Like 1

Those transmissions are very easy to repair. The hardest part is getting it out of the truck.

Find a shop that deals with older imports and have them replace the bearing. Even a full rebuild on that trans is only about $600, including parts.

I have found it harder to get back into the truck myself, but I am special. :lol:

• Like 3

Any Z engine series that is the same length will work. Long 31.5 inches and short 26". Now make sure you are not being sold a 4x4 transmission as there is no speedometer drive in them. The '80-'83 S110 200sx also had the long 5 speed. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The 71B 5 speed was available since '77. Millions made and with different front cases so they fit L, Z, SD, LD and CA engines. 

You have two possible lengths 26" and 31.5". All these below are 31.5" except possibly one from a 720 gas engine. Even if you have a shorter one you can swap a longer one in and shorten the driveshaft. All you may need to do is swap your Z series front case on.

L series...

'77-'79 620 truck

'78-'80 810

'81-'84 Maxima

'77-'78 280z

'79-'83 non turbo 280zx

Z series...

'81-'86.5 720 gas engines

'80-'83 S110 200sx

'83-'86.5 S12 200sx

LD series...

'78-'80 810

'81-'84 Maxima

SD series...

'80-'86.5 720

Then there are the 71C from the D21 Hardbody that bolt right up and need only a driveshaft mod.

• Like 1