Distributor lubricants?

720inOlyWa

Boy, this little Z20 is starting to run great. we are real close. But there is an intermittent chirping sound that is not a loose alternator belt. It sounds a little like a loose belt squeaking, but it is smaller. My ear says that it is coming from the distributor.

I am lost when it comes to distributors. If one isn‘t working right, I go to the bonnie, as if that is  some kind of solution!

Thing is, there is that little cam looking dealie in there, and it looked like maybe it had lubrication once. Is there any lubrication requirements for the distributor besides a touch off grease on the relocutor?

While I have your attention on the issue of lubricants, I forget which oil we like to use in our Z motors. Is is Delo 44 heavy Duty, or deli 400 SDE (diesel oil)?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "bearings" inside are a sintered steel, and they require lubricant.  They are not sealed, rather they tend to only get a little blow-by lubricant from the engine, and since they are bushings not bearings (not shown in the diagram), they need all the help they can get.  If it sat a long while, rust will form between the shaft and the steel bushings, and result in a scraping/squeaking noise.  You're hearing it tear itself apart quickly.  At the bare minimum, add lubricant under the action plate.  Or have someone take it apart, clean out the rust and old grease, and oil it up good with engine oil only as you reassemble.  

• Like 2

Thank you, distributor guy! I greased this area with a Q-tip and some light bearing grease. Really lightly as I was‘t sure about what I was doing It is quiet now- no squeaking at all. I am going to do this on my other truck as well, only using engine oil instead.

• Like 1