Job Market in Tennessee/VA/NC/SC?

Since my Wife lost her job,we're thinking about moving to the Nashville or Knoxville area,

or the other states listed above.How's the market? I've worked for Safeway for almost 44 years,& my Wfe

worked in the IT department & the local hospital for 39 years.And how's the real estate market in those areas?

I'm not looking forward to having to clear stuff out,& then there's the six vehicles to deal with.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start sending your resumes via Craigslist for that area.  Don't include your email or phone number on resume, let Craigs email you so that you can see if jobs are legit.  Then google company and see projected growth.  Also try Indeed.com.  While your Craigs look at their rental or house for sale, even try Zillow, so at least you get an idea.  You can also track crime rate for that particular zip, on line.  Good Luck and I hate moving!

• Like 1

Moving......so much hate for that, the house I am in now they will take me out feet first and someone else will have to deal with all my part/car hoarding issues.

Good luck man!

• Like 2

When I travel we do not stop in Knoxville. That place is rough. Keep that in mind while looking. I'm sure there are nice parts but probably few and far between. Personally I would think Nashville would be an all around better place.

Job market I have no clue

Virginia & the Carolinas are beautiful states from what I've seen but only through traveling. Don't forget the east coast gets hit by hurricanes from time to time. Inland a little bit is better. And there is tornados. No place safe from those.

Shenandoah valley, VA is beautiful.

• Like 1

I'll chime in with NC info....

Charlotte is growing rapidly and has a substantial job market currently.  Housing is reasonable, but just a tick on the expensive side depending on which area you locate.  Substantial financial, transportation, and many other major industries in the area.  Of course, the Concord side of Charlotte is home to all of the NASCAR teams but competition for job openings in that group is stiff.

Raleigh (the capital) is expanding so rapidly it is unbelievable.  There are numerous IT related companies in that area such as IBM, Red Hat, Global Training, etc. that are expanding and constantly hiring.  It also has a substantial medical, electronic, etc. research area called the Research Triangle Park located between Raleigh and Durham.  Many job opportunities in that area.

Greensboro / Winston-Salem / High Point is called the Golden Triad since the cities are all close together.  Jobs in certain fields are being recruited for here currently.  If you have any aircraft experience, then Greensboro is your bet.  The new Honda business jet is being built here and they are constantly adding staff and space since the FAA just approved the jet.  Large aircraft maintenance is done here with Timco and Haeco both located here.   Harris-Teeter has a large distribution center here if you have experience in food distribution and warehousing.  I live right in the center of the Golden Triad in a small town Kernersville, wihich is home to FedEx Ground and Air operations and lots of other transportation companies.  

So, add NC to you look at list.

dgi

Thanks for the reply.My only aircraft experiance is flying in a plane.

I can't go work for a non-union grocery company,as a condition of my pension.

I think that I'm a good,hard worker (my opinion - EWIW),&  am reliable.

My Wife said "At least we can pass a drug test".