Help getting into a 620.

Deimosreign

Hello all, I just joined up because I've had a growing interest in having a 620 as a side project, toy hauler (75 honda motorcycle project, hard to put it in a 2 door coupe.). I live up in Auburn washington and have been trying to find a good example to buy, but I'm bad at this part, picking a good example for a good price. I've read a bunch of other posts about what to look for in terms of rust, locations recommended configurations and simple upgrades. I've seen a few examples up here of various quality and price range.

So I guess what I'm asking is.. can anyone help me find a good example that isn't an overpriced cash grab or a disaster waiting to happen?

There is this one in tacoma. 77 with l20b and 4 speed, king cab, owner estimates around 160k on the odometer (says it's sitting at 60k but assumes it's rolled over once.)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/6156194693.html

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm terrible at this.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some plus's and minus's here.

I'd Wait for a 78'-79' as it Already has disc brakes and there was mention of the kingpin vs ball joints

That truck sure looks clean though minus that dent in the side.

'78-'79 In addition to front disc brakes...

Also electronic ignition, internally regulated alternator. In '78 the intake reverted back to water cooled/warmed like the earlier L16/18 engines.

'76- a King Cab was available, usually with buckets.

'77-'79 a 5 speed was available as an option.

• Like 1

That just leaves waiting for a 78/9 I guess? Sad part is no telling if/when one will appear on the market at a reasonable price. I wouldn't be oppose to dealing with a 4 speed and drum brakes.

Are the king pins really that big of an issue in terms of maintenance?

Not at all. The problem is when they are worn and needing to be replaced. An old 620 will almost certainly not been properly maintained and they are most likely bad. After my 521, I swore never again would I ever have a vehicle with king pins.

Are the king pins really that big of an issue in terms of maintenance?

Ball joints and disc brakes your mom can service.  King pins require reaming and drum brakes have six hundred and thirty-nine parts to eff with when you service them vs about 3 with disc brakes.

Having the 78-79 already being disc brakes allows you to bolt on drop spindles and later(better) brakes from a D21 with not much part sourcing.

Given your location, you will find one. They will go for sale. Be prepared to travel. Portland, Spokane, Eugene, Boise. You will find one.

• Like 1

I've been looking far out but I'm still kinda limited on my ability to go too far out sadly.  One of my best helpers just got picked up for a temp job that travels around the U.S. so I lost my travel buddy to do day trips. Good news for him, bad for me in this endeavor.