Replacing a rad

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did u tried to get it fixed at a rad shop? Stay away from those shiny alum. Ones heard quality is a hit and miss, koyo is the best quality I heard. Or you can try to find a radiator from a fiero i think 88. Also go on line to see what other ones fit. Good luck.

I'd recommend measuring the diameter of your coolant tube on the radiator to verify it's the same as what you want to buy. I bought a 3 row aluminum on eBay, and definitely compare a few before you buy... When I was ordering the one for my 521 I noticed some had smaller diameter inlet/outlet compared to my needs... can only assume it's due to motor options . Just something to be aware of to make the right choice....

I just bought this koyo rad for my 521 because they're interchangeable. I was going to buy a factory fan, but was wondering if maybe you knew of a quality fan shroud that would fit on the koyo rad? Or should I stick to factory?

Yes, Koyo is good. I used skateboard bearings to space my radiator from the core support.

ALSO!!! The radiator does not come with a cap!!! Make sure to order one; ~$30, or use a $13 stant cap from the store. I prefer matching. Kind of dumb it doesn't come with a cap. At least make it $30 more and include one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Koyo radiators in both my race cars.

My hill climb 510 has a 2.3 LZ engine. I just raced it at the Mount Washington Auto road hill climb 2 weeks ago. It perform fine with no overheating problems whatsoever.

My Road Race 510 has an L16 engine. Last weekend I raced it at the scca majors race in Thompson Connecticut. Again no issues with overheating and it cool the engine fine even with temperatures being a humid 90 degrees.

The top mounting bolts do require spacers properly install the radiator. The hose attachments are perfectly fit for the vehicle and use stock size hoses.

They do not include a radiator cap. I sourced one at the local parts store. It uses a radiator cap from an Acura, not sure which model or year.

• Like 1

I got the Koyo radiator in last week and took it out for a couple of cruises in the local area. It worked as well as could be expected. I would be willing to recommend it as a replacement. Its not a perfect fit, I had to put 3/8" spacers in so as not to have to grind the upper lip on the core support.

• 2 weeks later...