1984 leaks rainwater into floorboard

ecampvet

Hello everyone,Anyone know of a way to fix this problem?  I can't figure out where the water is coming in.  It's a real nuisance because of the water getting under the vinyl floor and everything has to be removed to properly dry out the truck.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the windshield gasket. This winter the snow would melt when I started driving and it dumps onto the floorboards and fuse block (yeah things got weird) so I just smeared the gasket with silicone instead of actually fixing anything.

You will need to find the actually water source before you can fix it. Also check for weird accessories screwed into the roof and body panels. Unless you have a rusted out completely floorboards or drive through the deep puddles chances are it is coming in somewhere else and leaking into the floor.

When you think you may have found a leak just tape paper to the area on the inside and spray the outside with a hose and see if the paper is wet. If the paper is wet you found the leak.

• Like 2

If on the passenger side check the drains on either side of the plenum. This is the area behind the hood and where the wiper linkages are. Pine needles and maple keys fall through the louvers and migrate to the sides where there are drain holes that drain behind the front wheel under the fender. The passenger side can back the water up and have it slosh into the heater blower motor fresh air duct.

Take the wipers off their pivots then unscrew the louver panel and lift off. Use a flashlight to see in there.

• Like 3

if its not the windshield ,check the seam sealer.i almost took my truck apart before i found out that that 30+ year seam sealer had failed. So i replaced most of the seam sealer.inside and out.strip truck down,fenders ,dash,hood.complete interior it was worth it,also removed the windshield and replaced the gasket used urethane sealer around windshield .no leak's now.

• Like 3

I had the same problem- leaking on the passenger side. I normally get a brad new windshield for any rehab project and when the guys came to install it, they removed the cowling to discover that someone had taken a Sawsall and cut a hatch to change out a leaking heater core. They patched it all back together okay, but it still leaked a little. I wonder if maybe you have the same issue.

• Like 1

When you get the cowl off take a flash light and check the drains. One on each far outside. If blocked water will be slow to drain and can back up and over top the air intake to the blower. You'll see what I mean once you look.