1977 Datsun 620 King Cab "KARASHI"

1977 Datsun 620 King Cab Deluxe

カラシ “KARASHI”

First acquired April of 2009. Saw a listing on craigslist selling it for $1500 "running." After meeting with the owner at n offsite yard, he noticed the pickup was ransacked and several parts were missing. He sold it to be for $500. I was eventually able to scavenge for the missing parts and got the L20B running. Upgraded the carb years later to a 32/36 weber and drove it for several years as my daily. Crashed for the very first time in my life with it (hopefully the last), due to very dangerous spongy drum brakes and the car in front hard braking. A time after than, I blew the L20B on the freeway; oil every where. Needed it back on the road quick and so I was lucky to find a 1973 620 donor on craigslist with a L18 and swapped it over. Eventually, the L18 gave up and the 620 was parked for a couple years. I scored a good deal on a KA24DE, harness, and ecu, low miles, approximately 110,000 for $700. Also bought a 720 5 speed transmission from a ratsun member for $150. This is where my dreams and ambitions began; however, I was just a college student with a retail job selling cellphones. Graduated from college 2013; scored a decent job in 2015, and now we are here, dumping hard earned money on this project; and also into the necessary tools. The pickup's name is, "Karashi" a type of mustard in the Japanese cuisine. KA swap inspiration credited to ]2eDeYe thanks for the wealth of information!

Tentative End Goal:

cfGZl1z.png

(When it first came home)

LSj61XY.jpg

8Dpb7Vy.jpg

H2fDeD0.jpg

lWWrdMI.jpg

TyDY9X4.jpg

Years later of driving it with an L18, front end crash, Tiburon bucket seats

GB89ygK.jpg?1

BsqAMkt.jpg

o1iLpd9.jpg

kedzqVw.jpg

UR9btfR.jpg

Q9SmtzY.jpg

RsM2JSs.jpg

kW1V0Un.jpg

fWiYjXT.jpg

egE6Gp5.jpg

OEdIvDm.jpg

ubJG2uG.jpg

Parts list: Updated: 06/05/2017

Engine/Transmission/Cooling

• Exedy Clutch and Flywheel Kit - RockAuto: $124.93 total ✔

• ARP Flywheel Bolts - Ebay: ARP 102-2802 $41.49

• Tranny Rear Seal - RockAuto: TIMKEN 710324  $3.34

• 1996 240SX Header - Ebay: $86.99

• Extra Header Exhaust Gasket - Ebay $7.86

• Spark Plug Wires - RockAuto: DENSO 6714208 $45.74

• Spark Plugs - RockAuto: NGK 7090 x4 $11.72  ✔

• Cap and Rotor - RockAuto: AIRTEX/WELLS 3D1187 $20.89

• Duralast Belt - Autozone: 350K3 35” 3 Ribs $12.38

• AE86 Radiator - AE86 Shroud and Fans - Ebay $203.81

• Datsun 720 Starter - RockAuto: USA INDUSTRIES 614250  $38.76 total ✔

• 720 Clutch Slave Cylinder - RockAuto: EXEDY SC574 $10.52 total ✔

• Accelerator Cable - RockAuto: PIONEER CA8937 $32.64

• 240SX KA24DE EGR Block Off Delete Plate Blocker - Ebay: $7.96

• Motor Mounts - RockAuto: DEA/MRC A2533 / A2532 Left and Right $19.43

• Fuel Filter - RockAuto: PENTIUS PFB43178 x 2 $5.20

• Fuel Pump - RockAuto: AIRTEX E2000 Electric Pump $56.79

• Radiator - Ebay: AE86 Corolla 84-87 2-Row With Fan Shroud/Fans $203.81

• Cold Air Intake - Ebay/Amazon: $126.25

• Spectre 9499 3” 90 Degree Mandrel Intake Tube $31.53

• Specture 87831 Black 3” - 2.75” Coupler $11.25

• CXRacing 16mm Aluminum Vacuum Nipple $7.67

• Kuramashop 14mm Aluminum Vacuum Nipple $8.99

• Zspeedstarz 2.75” - 3” Transition Coupler + Clamps $7.58

• Spectre 81413 Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter $16.15

• Spectre 8741 Black 3” Air Duct Hose $21.54

• Spectre 8161 Black Small Cone Filter $21.54

Brakes/Wheels/Tires

Front

• Rotors - 2002 Honda Passport, 2001-2004 Isuzu Rodeo, 2002-2003 Rodeo Sport

• 2X BENDIX PRT5402 { (rockauto w/ 5% off) $44.82 or Bendix $39.04

• Calipers - 1988-1997 Nissan D21 Hardbody 4WD 2.4l

• Junkyard $27.14  ✔

• Pads - CENTRIC 30003330 Premium Semi-Met Pads w/Shims

• Rock Auto $19.14

• Hydraulic Hoses - Front Right  DORMAN Part # H38568 and Front Left  DORMAN Part # H38554

• Rock Auto $21.98

Rear

• Rotors - 1989-1993 Isuzu Amigo, 1988-1991 Isuzu Trooper, 1988-1995 Isuzu Pickup

• 2X DURA INTERNATIONAL BR31135 (rockauto w/ 5% off) $28.37

• Calipers - Isuzu Trooper

• Junkyard $47.09  ✔

• Pads - CENTRIC 30003980 Premium Semi-Met Pads w/Shims

• Rock Auto $16.78

• Lines - BECK/ARNLEY 0731547 X 2

• Rock Auto $18.55

• Master Cylinder - 1979-1981 Datsun 280zx 15/16

• A-1 CARDONE Part # 111837 {#46010P6500} Reman. w/o Reservoir   

• Amazon Prime $55.32  ✔

• CARDONE SELECT 131721 {#46010B5015} w/ Reservoir

• Rock Auto $38.79

• Wilwood Proportioning Valve 260-8419

• Amazon Prime $43.00

• Goferit Inserts (To Flip Center Link) - $35.50

Suspension/Steering

Centerlink - RockAuto: MEVOTECH MS30905 Supreme $45.79

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine (KA24DE from a 1996 Nissan 240sx) L18 is outta here!

reQgHjd.jpg

gjX06Xk.jpg

LsuVAFF.jpg

2WN4VM8.jpg

Cleaned up nicely with a pressure washer and some elbow grease

55hqxCY.jpg

QIBzXoZ.jpg

ebay headers

NvfxQZy.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiator/Core Support

Because the front radiator support was trashed, I removed the one from the 73 donor; the top is slightly different, but who cares, I was going to cut it up either way to fit a good radiator. Hence, the first step in this build was finding an aluminum radiator that fits with little modification. I know the efficiency of the radiator having a shroud and so the radiator MUST have one with electric fans. Found the perfect radiator for this and only needed minimal cutting of the core support.

Radiator: 84-87 Toyota Corolla AE86 (Manual) Overall Size: 23"x18"x2" thickness with shroud and fans, 5.5"

Test fitting the KA to figure out clearance and allowed me to work on fitting in the radiator

uF0Tx9Z.jpg

Approximately 5" space from water pump pulley to core support wall

FS3AiXy.jpg

Went to the junk yard and got a pair of these hold down brackets from an older model Toyota corolla, I grind them down to fit better with my dimensions

wY7JLgR.jpg

gLeFwV8.jpg

Also grabbed a pair of these bottom mounts; will have to figure out how to attach them to the bottom frame; I already have an idea how

hXFGj9z.jpg

CFqsJPQ.jpg

tXmR1HN.jpg

Notice the shroud does not sit flush; manufacturer was lazy with grinding down the welds and making it fit right; will do that myself; that should give me half an inch more clearance with the distributor and water pump pulley and the shroud will be more efficient

tALV1Ci.jpg

7IzwKyr.jpg

It's difficult to remove the radiator due to how close it is to the distributor; will have to cut the support, it blocks the bottom right corner of the radiator when trying to pull up

Front bumper brackets should fit without a problem

rdBW5pf.jpg

Shroud sitting in flush after an hour of tedious grinding of welds and cutting down the threaded tubes where the upper tabs sit; why does aluminum take forever to grind down!

Ok9AkCu.jpg

QkC4a8L.jpg

1/2" clearance from the water pump pulley and 1" from the distributor connector; good enough!

WoJpy4a.jpg

• Like 3

Yay!, Another datto getting saved!

What's your color code?, Looks same as mine..

Unfortunately mine is missing the fender tag so I'm not sure, even after researching there isn't much out there. Closest I could find was code #931. 

• Like 2

In a tedious quest to find upper and lower radiator hoses. The engine side inner diameter of the hose has to be 1-3/8" (1.38") and of the radiator side 1-1/4" (1.25"). Oreilly's rep was super cool and ordered a bunch of molded hoses I though will work in some way or shape after modifying them and if I'm lucky I'll have both upper and lower tomorrow. One other option I thought about is using rubber inserts on the 1.25 radiator inlet/outlet and use one size flexible hoses then dress them up.

Any other ideas?

:confused:

• Like 2

Welcome

Nice truck , you can make an adapter , or get an exhaust shop to make you one any size you need .a short piece of tube about three inches long , this also helps if you need to turn one end of the hose to fit better .

part_zps6mqijrjf.png

• Like 3

Datsun 720 5 Speed transmission cleanup. Not fun, but easier than expected. Still needs a little scraping and scrubbing in some corners. Got most of the crud by scraping it dry. I then sprayed it with Purple Power degreaser and scrubbed with the wire brush, I then scrubbed and then scrubbed some more, pressure washed to clean it up, then scrubbed some more. Approximately two hours worth.

7hNLexx.jpg

The harbor freight wire brush made the job simple.

jg8yiY9.jpg?1

zVXxdlQ.jpg

TEQw9Da.jpg

wRzYTcy.jpg

Lipvfdu.jpg

DfacOJQ.jpg

240sx Manual Transmission Dust Plate

Iv64f8P.jpg

• Like 3

I have an idea and I'm liking it...has anyone ever seen a 620 King Cab with the quarter windows deleted??? I've always thought the oval window makes the KC look a bit odd and they seem to be useless windows.

What do you all think?

cfGZl1z.png

56T6yZx.png

• Like 3

Fast720 has a 720 single cab he extended, so it's like a windowless king cab. Looks fine, so i would think a 620 would to.

If going to that much body effort, also consider adding some length to the bed side so it starts even with the bottom of the cab body, then tapers up to original height at the back of the bed.

• Like 3

Very good observation and recommendation; without fixing that taper it does make the bed look out of place.

Fast720 has a 720 single cab he extended, so it's like a windowless king cab. Looks fine, so i would think a 620 would to.

If going to that much body effort, also consider adding some length to the bed side so it starts even with the bottom of the cab body, then tapers up to original height at the back of the bed.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but with so many headlight options out there these days that don't require cutting, I just can't see using those. Your ride though and they do look cool :)

I'm a big fan of HID lighting and these will allow me to do that without blinding people.

What other headlights do you recommend though?

This tool made it easy to shave off the plastic pieces.

2v4EJZL.jpg

QVSaiqR.jpg

XGo4YiZ.jpg

The high beam sits in loose with the retainer ring, that's because the OEM sealed beams have three little glass blocks that space the beam out enough for the retainer ring to compress it down and it also has three other glass blocks that prevents it from turning. For the next ones I cut, I will attempt and leave some plastic to work as the glass blocks do. Grrrr tedious work.

ZqJKkIN.jpg

C8TbUSX.jpg

3vzTr1k.jpg

bC9yYiH.jpg

AkQPhkJ.jpg

7.25" length space for a battery. I was thinking of using a miata battery but then I found a beefier one at the junkyard that might work and took measurements. 7.25" x 6.5" Walmart part number, VP-26 or VP-26R. They sell for $50 new with a 1 year warranty. 540 CCA.

I think I'm going to give it a try; I want HIDs and the miata battery might give me issues if I accidentally leave the lights on for a couple minutes.

• Like 2

This tool made it easy to shave off the plastic pieces.

The high beam sits in loose with the retainer ring, that's because the OEM sealed beams have three little glass blocks that space the beam out enough for the retainer ring to compress it down and it also has three other glass blocks that prevents it from turning. For the next ones I cut, I will attempt and leave some plastic to work as the glass blocks do. Grrrr tedious work.

IMG_0728.jpg

7.25" length space for a battery. I was thinking of using a miata battery but then I found a beefier one at the junkyard that might work and took measurements. 7.25" x 6.5" Walmart part number, VP-26 or VP-26R. They sell for $50 new with a 1 year warranty. 540 CCA.

I think I'm going to give it a try; I want HIDs and the miata battery might give me issues if I accidentally leave the lights on for a couple minutes.

I like it. I like it a-lot

There are small size batteries that are still very powerful but they cost a bit. Think $120-150 ea, but brand new. Not something you'll get if you're limited to wrecking yard prices.

• Like 2

Considering how difficult it is to find hoses that fit in 1-3/8" to 1-1/4" I instead got hoses that were 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" and used rubber inserts.

byhqceG.jpg

PWNAnTT.jpg?3

q1dbXSN.jpg?1

kQS8aWt.jpg?1

mg2EyVz.jpg?1

I looked everywhere for rubber caps I could use as inserts with a 1-1/2" outer diameter 1-3/8" inner diameter and these were the only ones I could find.

uNkpsbZ.jpg?1

5SSDlYi.jpg?1

egwkky6.jpg?1

0HslBQD.jpg?1