Diameter of fuel line

Brandon.fair

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say good chance it's 1/4 or maybe 3/8 metal lines. Not sure if the lines got bigger over the years..

by the sounds of it you don't have measuring caliper...

Do you have any drills?

Find a 1/4 and a 3/8 drill bit and compare to the line even disconnect a rubber line and see what fits....

• Like 1

I'd say good chance it's 1/4 or maybe 3/8 metal lines. Not sure if the lines got bigger over the years..

by the sounds of it you don't have measuring caliper...

Do you have any drills?

Find a 1/4 and a 3/8 drill bit and compare to the line even disconnect a rubber line and see what fits....

It's the rubber lines that need replacing. But that sounds like it will work.

• Like 1

Another way to check the hose size would be to fit an open end wrench onto the steel line. 1/4,5/16 and 3/8 are your common hose sizes.

I generally just measure with calipers but I like that.. Never thought of that but ya that works without having to disconnect anything...

• Like 1

Well, I just did mine this weekend (replaced fuel pump and filter) I don't recommend disconnecting the fuel line without putting a pair of vice-grips on the line as it'll spray everywhere and it sucks (experience).

If I recall it'll be a 3/8in hose.. gimme a min and I'll find out.

• Like 1

it's a 1/4in hose - if you want a sturdier hose ask for a fuel injected style - it'll handle up to 50psi and may give it a bit more life, cost will be a bit more but means you don't have to replace it anytime soon.

• Like 1

Thanks yall. Now I'm having another issue. I added tech-con. Now it won't idle. I had this problem before and I sprayed out the jets and that fixed the issue. Did that today and still won't idle. I have a new fuel filter. But need new hose to replace the filter but I can't get to the store bc it won't idle haha FML

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

If your vehicle comes with a return line you should keep it. It serves 2 purposes, it circulates cool fuel past the carburetor reducing the likelihood of vapor lock. (the boiling of fuel in the carburetor making hot restarts more difficult) Circulating the fuel also filters it over nd over keeping the tank and lines cleaner.

The return line does have a restriction about the size of a large pin hole. If no restriction the gas would simply ignore the carburetor and follow the path of least resistance back to the tank.

This is for the L20B but the Z24 is similar...

11aMYIJ.jpg