L16 Ticking noise after head work

d.p

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

timming light would have found this in like 30 secs

Yes and no because they had the cam timing wrong so it wouldn't have.  They got the cam timing right then tried to adjust the dizzy and when I showed up I had them put a timing light on it and saw the 46.  I had them then check the oil spindle/dizzy clocking.  

If you are off by that much. A timing light will show that. Happened to my 65 mustang when the harmonic balancer took a crap and checked it with timing light and at idle it was like 32 degrees and pinged like crazy when taking off.

If you are off by that much. A timing light will show that. Happened to my 65 mustang when the harmonic balancer took a crap and checked it with timing light and at idle it was like 32 degrees and pinged like crazy when taking off.

Yeah and to Hainz point it would tell them that as well.  I was told they were going to time it before but ended up not doing it and went down the carb or some other hols.  Just basic all around ineptitude by the original tech.  Funny too because the stuff that flatcat said about some techs these days was spot on in this case.  

Yo man, it was at 46 because they had the oil spindle/dizzy clocked wrong.  Once they got it right they were able to get it down close to OEM.  

And I verified TDC before all of this anyway so we are good there.    Also had the shop verify it as well yesterday.  

Yo man,  I didn't realize that you actually took the steps to verify TDC. I can't  keep up with all the posting, so if you mentioned it earlier, I didn't catch it.

• Like 1

RE: post 134

Cam timing has ZERO effect on ignition timing. Timing chain has no connection to the oil pump/distributor spindle setting. So ye,s a timing light would have shown the ignition timing good or bad instantly.

Also a lot of new cars today, timing does not have to be checked so the tech, probably assumed that. On ole skool cars like ours, 1st thing is to check timing, when doing tune up or when engine running rough. If you are not going to work on your car, at least make sure the mechanic has worked on 70s car. And a lot don't know about the oil pump and spindal, being 11.25, the mechanics who know this stuff are retired. That's why ratsun is very important.

• Like 1

Well drove my truck today and it purred like a kitten, no leaks and drove great except for the brakes having a ton of travel.  I left the truck at the shop so they can sort that out but they are doing that on good will.  Should have it back tomorrow if all goes well.  

Thanks everyone for all your help.   :thumbup:

Quick update, truck has been running great for the most part, starts right up and goes but I do have some hesitation/stuttering in 3rd and 4th which seems to go away once the truck is warmed up.  Is that normal for a refreshed L16?  

First carb'd car for me.  It does go away once the truck warms up and the needle usually settles a little to the right of the break on the temp gauge.  It stutters when the temp gauge is still pointing towards the cold side.  If I lean into gets worse, floor it gets worse and stock gearing.  

I guess I just don't remember it doing this prior so was just curious about it.  Another side effect of all of this is I don't have to use the choke barely at all anymore.  Before I had to have it fully out to get the truck going.   

You needed the choke to get it started or were you using it after cold start?

You can hardly compare how it was before with how it is now, because now it doesn't have a blow head gasket. This is the new starting point for all of your tuning.

Fine tuning is going to require some fiddling with the distributor timing, mechanical and vacuum advance and carb jetting. Remind me, Weber carb?

I start and drive. Yes I don't romp on it when cold as it's not up to it and is boring. It just runs so much better when the engine is warm, or even hot. EFI engines can perfectly compencate for a lot of cold engine losses that carb engines have. Even a cold EFI engine lacks slightly. Best way to warm an engine quickly, is to just drive it. (not beat on it)

• Like 2