Borg Warner Muncie auto trans

Is anyone familiar with these at all? Specifically the kick down vacuum actuator operation and its adjustment.

I'm having some issues with it not working properly and do not have a manual or a good grasp on how it works and what it needs to be adjusted or set up.

I have installed a new module on the trans. There are no vacuum leaks. I'm not sure the rod in the trans is in place properly or not or how it is supposed to be sitting in there.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have some small info, but only after I get home today. There was a Lechtworth and a Muncie BW-35 trans Pretty much the same thing just different manufacturing locations worldwide. 

What's it doing??? or NOT doing????

Haha! I'd like to keep it auto. At least for now. It's just a stock cruiser and I like to commute with an auto.

Mike, originally it operated fine with the exception of no kick down operation. Manual shifting on the column would work.

I replaced the vacuum modulator on the trans thinking maybe it was bad. Had good vacuum through the line.

When I removed the original, when the fluid started coming out, a metal rod slid out as well. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be attached to the modulator or not. Didn't seem like it so I reinstalled it and screwed on the new modulator.

Now I still have no kickdown and it seems to shift really early through the gears. Like really early.

Need to doubled check the fluid level again and am going to recheck vacuum also just to make sure nothing else obvious is wrong.

To be sure your 510  modulator screws into the back of the transmission not the side?

Yes the tiny pushrod should be loose. The modulator probably sets the down shift and the delay in up shift by the weak intake vacuum signal. (floored) Not sure about ATF coming out when removed.

The vacuum line on my 710 came off once and it would rev much higher before shifting. Put it on and it shifted much sooner.

Feel adventurous? Take that rod out and find a similar rod substitute and make another that is say... 1/16" longer and try that. If still up shifting too soon try one that is 1/8" longer.  

Yes it's on the back.

Can you explain to me how that system works?

I did leave a piece of info out. The modulator looks to be adjustable looking at the old one. Inside the vacuum port you can access a screw adjustment. I assume this would do the same as a longer or shorter rod you suggest.

I will fiddle with it and see if it changes. Maybe starting approximately where the old one is set at. Didn't notice as I was getting an atf shower at the time of replacement!

Thanks a lot for the help. Again!

Yes, I have some small info, but only after I get home today. There was a Lechtworth and a Muncie BW-35 trans Pretty much the same thing just different manufacturing locations worldwide. 

What's it doing??? or NOT doing????

Lechtworth M35 has a mechanical cable driven downshift.  Muncie Indiana T35 has a vacuum shift instead.  There is a world of difference in the shift alignment.  An early Datsun car manual that I have describes the process required to align the T35 vacuum downshift.  It is really scary with a warning that if you don't have the proper tools and knowledge you will ruin the transmission and signs off with a "take it to a professional" warning.  If there is any interest, I can dig my manual out of my trunk and give you the publisher, name, and ISBN number so that you can check with a local Barnes and Noble store to see if there are any still in existence.  If there are any living Studebaker mechanics within a 100 miles of you, they probably know how to service the T35.