78 620 Ball Joints/RockAuto

Labdork

I'm looking at the RockAuto parts listings for ball joints and I'm noticing descriptions like "Front Upper" and Front Lower". This is addition to "Front Upper Left" and "Front Left Lower". So, are they symmetrical and interchangeable left to right? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This where I purchased my Moog parts.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products/datsun_truck_620_1978

The left and right ball joints are the same.

Except on RHD vehicles where rights are lefts and lefts are rights, in which case it's still OK to interchange lefts on rights and rights on lefts. Keep in mind that on LHD vehicles - and only those with the steering box on the left - it's also OK to interchange rights and lefts, but just not uppers and lowers. 

Your suggestion of going directly to Moog is best. Rockauto screws up so many part numbers and descriptions. 

• Like 2

I bought mine from RA and they were fine.  Old beat up boxes, but fine.  The Moog site is a great way to verify you've got the right part numbers.  Not sure how prices compare when you get the same thing?  In fact, RA probably drop-ships from Moog.  

Except if the items are in different warehouses, you have to pay shipping charges for each shipping item. It sucks ordering from RA, when five items come from five warehouses with five separate shipping charges. I'm learning to dislike rockauto more and more (and I use them only as a last resort). 

• Like 1

I buy a lot of Close-out parts from RA and in the last year I have had problems with the parts being boxed wrong.  For example I ordered 2 Upper Ball Joints for my 720 and when I received them from 2 different warehouses same box and part number 1 fit and the other did not.  Same order from a third warehouse the clutch slave cylinder should hva been a straight one for the 2 wheel drive it was the 90 degree angled one.  Contacted RA and they asked if the part numbers on the boxes were correct and I said yes.  RA offered if I returned them on my dime they would give me 50% credit on the parts.  I told them to fuck off.  I do not buy close out items from RA any more.

• Like 1

I've had very similar issues with parts that weren't even closeout stuff. It's not just old Datsun stuff where they have issues - other brands as well. 

The other issue is that they often have the wrong parts listed for a given application, and the customer ends up having to eat the return shipping as well as a restocking fee. So I've learned to not trust their parts application data. 

• Like 1

Except if the items are in different warehouses, you have to pay shipping charges for each shipping item. It sucks ordering from RA, when five items come from five warehouses with five separate shipping charges. 

At least they tell you this, so you can make an informed decision.  I have also received bad parts, replaced quickly without having to return the bad ones.  And I've made incorrect orders, for which I was credited full price upon receipt.  That's all a guy can ask for.  

/\ Yup! Wish I had so much luck with them. 

Don't get me wrong, I have had some good situations, but the ratio just isn't that good. I've placed about 15 orders with them this year, and the "happy customer rate" has been about 50%, vs, Amazon where I've had about 98% success (the one non successful was trying to buy a previously returned clearance item where the shipping was delayed a couple weeks several times, then THEY eventually cancelled it).  

I've had worse luck with Amazon.  Sellers misrepresenting products, delayed shipping (they drop-ship all the non-Prime sales), and they hide the "will arrive by" time after the sale is complete so you can't make them accountable for late shipments unless you hit "print screen" mid-sale.  Amazon has been deceptive with me, Rock Auto has not.  From the perspective of a business owner, Rock Auto appears to be taking customer satisfaction seriously, whereas Amazon is more like Ebay or Paypal.  Growth and profitability come first.  

• Like 1