Backwoods Z

This is my Z, I have owned it about 10 years now but it has been pretty neglected most of its life, not just by me. I made a pretty good run at it about six years ago. I did the suspension and the engine compartment. But when I found out I was going to be a dad the 2 seater sportscar got put on hold. Now I think its time to give it the attention its been patiently waiting for. Here are some photos046.jpg[/img]

048.jpg[/img]

050.jpg[/img]

051.jpg[/img]

052.jpg[/img]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

love the bay & the wheels. Not to bad overall. I like the wheels with auto bahn stamped on em, A friend of mine just picked up a z with some really cool looking wheels I had never seen. SUPER NOVA. he was going to have that polished off, I'm like NOOO leave it. Total 70's

thew engine and bay are dirty as is the whole car from sitting so long. When I did al the engine work and painted the bay my plan was to keep going and not drive the car until it was completely done. But as with all projects plans changed and ended up driving it for about a year until I got my civic. As for the wheels I have only seen one other set in my life, and they were silver not gold. Any info on the wheels would be intresting to me. Oh ya we started it last night, after sitting for 3 years we bypassed the tank and ran a hose to a jerry can jumped the battery bearly touched the key and it fired to life. I forgot how good it sounded :)

i like to see ppl actually pay attention to the engine bay, its apart of the car too and needs respect. ppl always just leave the hood closed on really nice cars, and sometimes its ugly in there.

I f/n hate that, That's where I always start. I like a nice clean bay. :cool:

I got it down to the shop on fri. gave it a bath for starters. cleaned up the engine bay and got a good look at the work that is ahead of me. then I started tear down in the rear but no real progress yet. I need to take the camera next time and get a couple new pictures. but heres a few more of what i took before.066.jpg[/img]

067.jpg[/img]

068.jpg[/img]

069.jpg[/img]

047.jpg[/img]

whats more "RATSUN" than visegrips for a window crank?

Well, just as Murphys law says, as soon as I got the car to the shop and started in on it because we were slow. I got buried with work and it looks like shes going back in a corner again. Hopefully not for to long, but it is good to be making money instead of spending it. Here are some photos of it torn down, and of the previous repair on the left quarter. I don't think they were following the manufactures recomondations for repair and product thickness.018.jpg[/img]019.jpg[/img]

020.jpg[/img]

021.jpg[/img]

022.jpg[/img]

024.jpg[/img]

025.jpg[/img]

023.jpg[/img]

I havent even used a grinder yet, that is just where I chipped it off wit a screw driver to see how thick it was. The car as a whole is pretty rust free, it just has the usual dogleg and lower fender rust. I hope to just attack it with fury when I get a chance. but until then it is inside warm and dry.

• 3 months later...

OK, now that work has let up just a bit I hope to put in some time on this beast. I have gone back and fourth on how far to take the rust repair. And As of now I have decided to do the right thing and replace both quarters and rear body. I know it is the only way I will sleep at night if I DO IT RIGHT. So that is why I will pull my add for the 240z shell for sale. I started thinking, the person that would need to by the shell was someone who needed to replace rusty quarters....ME. So I am going to keep it an cut it up to fix mine. I will try and take good pictures and update as often as possible. But I am also trying to get my 521 done for Canby, so the Z might take back burner for a while.057.jpg[/img]

045.jpg[/img]

062.jpg[/img]

046.jpg[/img]

• 8 months later...

This thing isn't going to make it to Canby unless I start doing something. So I fired it up, drove it up on the rack and started rippin & tearin. Heres a few pictures

061-1.jpg[/img]

062.jpg[/img]

063.jpg[/img]

Heres the quarters My brother and I cut off the parts car

060-1.jpg[/img]

066.jpg[/img]

068.jpg[/img]

some of the cuts and sections

065.jpg[/img]088-1.jpg[/img]

087-1.jpg[/img]

089-1.jpg[/img]

091-1.jpg[/img]

All I need is one more week and she should be in paint....Right. Didn't get to do much today but work on customer cars, Friday everyone wants their car back. But I did fit up the rear body. still need to get the left quarter off berfore I can weld it in, because it tucks under the rear body. Also need to decide if I am going to do the whole right quarter or just dogleg it.

001-5.jpg[/img]

002-6.jpg[/img]

No turning back now!

this is just a ruff cut with my air chisel

001-6.jpg[/img]

002-7.jpg[/img]

all trimmed up and preped

015-3.jpg[/img]

014-3.jpg[/img]

this is the test fit

012-4.jpg[/img]

011-5.jpg[/img]

013-3.jpg[/img]

010-4.jpg[/img]

I blew it back apart and then rust morted all the inner surfaces. that must dry for 24 hours so I will probably start on the other side tomorrow.

Instead of the other side I dug into the floors. Got to be honest with ya, I did some sweet duct tape patch work back in the day. I pulled one patch up to find a COKE can on the under side. And another one I had fashioned out of a "new car sent" tree air freshener. here are some photos.

001-7.jpg[/img]

004-7.jpg[/img]

006-6.jpg[/img]

008-5.jpg[/img]

009-4.jpg[/img]

010-5.jpg[/img]

012-5.jpg[/img]