B210 Rear Suspension conversion

ColdSaus

I'm not seeing why replacing the leaf spring suspension is necessary.

A single leaf is a bad way to keep the rear axle centered laterally. Under extreme loading in a corner, the leaf will twist. To make the axle stable you need all the leaves.

If looking to lower just get lowering blocks and longer U bolts, what? $30 maybe. Axle is secure, spring rate is the same, no guessing with coils

I originally wanted to convert the rear leaf spring suspension to up the handling. I'm unsure if the stock leaf springs would be adequate for spirited driving. Also, things like rust could have also affected the suspensions overall performance; something I wouldn't have to worry about with a fresh pair of coilovers. if the coilover idea is unstable as well as expensive, is there an alternative leaf spring suspension that would do a better job at taking a beginner's performance car through corners? Looking at the overall cheapness of lowering blocks, the negatively remind me of cheap eBay miata coilovers (or something of that nature) and I'm unsure if that kind of suspension modification would be adequate.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have leaf spring for 'spirited' driving than coils. If I had coils I would just make the best of it, but wouldn't convert to them from leaf.

You can add stiffer or extra leaves to a leaf spring. Even flatter ones to lower. I added an extra leaf to my 710 and on my 620 had Ford F-150 leaf springs on all four corners..

is there an alternative leaf spring suspension that would do a better job at taking a beginner's performance car through corners?

Leaf springs are perfect for a beginner. Predicatble and durable, just what a rookie needs. 

Looking at the overall cheapness of lowering blocks

I can tell you I have beat the shit out of several cars that had them with zero problems/failures. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, that car is the exact combo I described. 

That was a link to click in the words.   ;)

They make them in 500, 1000, and 1500 pound rates. I am 99.9% sure we used the 1000 pound version.

Double check the length on them before you buy. Datsun leaf springs is hell of short, yo...   ^_^

If it helps, most chain auto parts stores sell these if you want to check them out before you buy them. 

Haha my bad. Didn't notice it was in link form. But thanks for the info, man.

I have these on my 4dr, and they do make a big difference. I did find they lifted the body about 0.5-1 inch which was a good thing for the 15s I have on the rear with the biggest tire you can just cram under there without major modifications, you can just see them in this old pic.

mc4JCbJ.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone have their 210 on a coil over setup? Been looking for options no applications . And also any idea on a rear disc brake upgrade option? Thank you

Still wondering why anyone would go to all this trouble for coil springs? Maybe there's a reason there are no examples of it.

Once you get the ride where you want it why would you need to adjust it? 

You change wheels and it rubs, you change wheels and the gap is too much, you want it lower for a show, you want it higher for a road trip, you've made changes and you need to corner-weight it again, you change springs for a race, you change springs to make it stiffer, you change springs to make it softer...

For someone like you, there is zero reason to have adjustable coilovers. That doesn't mean some of us have no reason to do it.   ^_^

• Like 1

Yes.  :rofl:

The weirdest coincidence: The cars with the ugliest stock bumpers, thus requiring spending a lot of money to get the cool Japanese bumpers, are bought up by the cheapest people. 

Hey now, I only flew to Taiwan and got married to buy my 90$ NOS bumpers. 

So of course I bought more then 1 at that price, such a deal!  :rofl:

But, seriously I've spent more on damn B210 dash rare bits then I have on the rest of the car. 

• Like 1