new here with a 620 'prerunner'

polo451

Scat low back seats would look cool in a classic Datsun. They have three distinctive low back styles and all of them have that vintage appeal.

But I would rather have a bench in a Datsun truck. Go with Lockleaf's suggestion and get the shorter trans.

Worst case, you could always have an upholstery shop cut a notch into your bench. I've seen that done before and I've been trying to try it myself.

• Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, another possible option just occurred to me.

720 4x4 single cab bench.

They have a gap in the middle where the 4x4 shifter sticks up. It basically looks like two bucket seat bottoms with a bench back connecting them and a fabric shifter cover stretched between the buckets.

• Like 2

yes the 720 bench would be cool but it's as hard to find .. 

it will be a light , mid travel prerunner , not a reacecar 

at the end i found vintage low back seats not far from here , i will go see them this weekend

Those look nice. Basically just like a Scat seat.

I wonder if the headrest will be a problem with the back window. I know my '83 Toyota has issues with high back seats. I plan to run my truck across the desert too, and I plan to wear a helmet, so that's another thing to consider.

i've measured and tested , it fits perfectly , and they sit really low so you could wear a helmet 

i think it's even gonna be too low , we''ll see with the rails mounted ...

i just need more leg space than what i have now 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, so i went to pismo with the 620, didn't really work well in the sand but with open diff not surprised!

Still with one wheel drive i made it to the camp in deep sand, engine screamlol

But then it started overheating a bit, so i stopped.

But the weird thing is that my sr runs hot on the highway! Like 200 at 70mph ..

In trafic with the fans no problem.

So i guess with the intercooler in front of the radiator there's not enough air coming through. Anybody with a swap have the same issue ?

Snd i finally got my tach!

https://flic.kr/p/WGRpJs

https://flic.kr/p/XYEaKe

• 5 months later...

HI guys !

new house new job , not much time to take care of the truck these last monthes, but recently i had plenty of time so i did a lot on the truck i'm pretty happy !

i will try to pst here but i have a FB page for it , easier to post from the phone :

https://www.facebook.com/polo451/

so after a few weeks at a shop in torrance for the engine management , which didn't go well since there is a mess in the wiring, the guy can't connect to the ecu to tune it ....

but i changed all the cooling elements and now it works fine and the boost is building up , but now since there's no tune i have fuel cuts .. but damn it pushes !

24862396_469334990130166_859874319673279

i also now have access to the workshop in my company in hawthorne so i did the axle swap with a colleague !

26239196_482740205456311_885595101790994

26230692_482740245456307_160534267549914

26238783_482740272122971_475690440401891

26733945_486002605130071_821588464019282

welding the driveshaft yoke , we messed up , had to be redone in a shop ...

26904728_486002625130069_778958888219874

it's on !  5 inches wider !!

26804823_486002551796743_164854807763329

26805041_486966991700299_869988898006276

i also bought some over fenders , jdm yooo

26804910_486967011700297_814053410359879

i know it hurts right !!!!

26904244_486967035033628_359319780603477

the front

26994098_486968018366863_195999156887827

finished !!!

how does it look ?

26804910_486968065033525_338924042431355

so for the front i'm working on it , new arms with 3 inches wider on each side will be made custom

new long travel soft rear leafs , and then some beefy fox racing shocks !!!

in a few weeks coming !

• Like 5

I love the look.

Not a huge fan of that rear diff, but that's merely from a technical point of view. There are no side adjusters in the Toyota 8.4, only shims and they can be a real bitch to set properly, especially with the one piece bearing cap/cradle.

Also, if you plan on catching any air, you may want to truss the housing. You've got your spring perches inboard so much that there's a lot of axle tube on the outside of the spring perch, and it will bend at the perch. It's probably already bent from welding on the new perches, but not enough to matter. Welding on a truss will also bend the housing so you're caught in a catch 22. A custom rear housing will only set you back about $800, so if you bend that one, it's not the end of the world.

It looks great.

I love the look.

Not a huge fan of that rear diff, but that's merely from a technical point of view. There are no side adjusters in the Toyota 8.4, only shims and they can be a real bitch to set properly, especially with the one piece bearing cap/cradle.

Also, if you plan on catching any air, you may want to truss the housing. You've got your spring perches inboard so much that there's a lot of axle tube on the outside of the spring perch, and it will bend at the perch. It's probably already bent from welding on the new perches, but not enough to matter. Welding on a truss will also bend the housing so you're caught in a catch 22. A custom rear housing will only set you back about $800, so if you bend that one, it's not the end of the world.

It looks great.

do you really think it's bent ? i mean the 8" toy axle is one of the toughest i've heard , and the spring perches were actually only a few mm from the datsun position, but upside down..

thanks for pointing that out however i didn't that could happen , when i change the gearing i'll have the shop verify that !

i had to have a shop make a custom driveshaft of course.

i plan on moving the shock struts inside the fenders , and yes before getting any air i will go to a shop to verify the thing will not shatter

but the 620 is so light that axle is probably way too strong

oh and custom rear leafs are on the way , very soft to absorb bumps

but again i'm not making a race truck , just a daily driver thats also fun in the desert !

fenders are ebay !!

do you really think it's bent ? i mean the 8" toy axle is one of the toughest i've heard , and the spring perches were actually only a few mm from the datsun position, but upside down..

thanks for pointing that out however i didn't that could happen , when i change the gearing i'll have the shop verify that !

i had to have a shop make a custom driveshaft of course.

i plan on moving the shock struts inside the fenders , and yes before getting any air i will go to a shop to verify the thing will not shatter

but the 620 is so light that axle is probably way too strong

oh and custom rear leafs are on the way , very soft to absorb bumps

but again i'm not making a race truck , just a daily driver thats also fun in the desert !

fenders are ebay !!

Welding causes heat shrinkage. Welding perches on an axle tube almost always bend the tube. I have had two instances here where welding perches and shock mounts on a Tacoma housing bent the axle by 1.5 degrees per side. It's easy enough to bend it back by welding the same bead on the opposite side of the axle tube and then cooling it quickly, or by heating it with a torch and quenching it.

That axle is not an 8" axle. It's an 8.4". At least that's what it looks like in the pics. The diff cover is deeper on the 8.4". The easy way to tell the difference is by the studs holding the diff into the housing. Are they 8mm or 10mm studs (12mm hex or 14mm hex)? The smaller 8mm studs are used in the 8" housing while the 8.4" uses 10mm studs. Either way, they are strong housings, but still bend. I'm replacing one right now with a custom Diamond Axle housing because the stock one bent. - http://www.diamondaxle.com/index.htm

ok i will check the studs to make sure if its a 8 or 8.4 , thanks for the advice ! 

so i guess any alignment shop should be able to check the angle of the wheels and tell how bent it is right ?

maybe thats why it heats a bit when i drive ... not crazy hot but after 15 miles i was surprised how hot i got

]2eDeYe 

it was actually amazon , faster shipping

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZB2SMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...

hey guys 

little update here  i know i am not online often ... 

the truck is out of the shop , maybe some of you saw the instagram, lil'prerunner620 

so there it is , medium travel suspension, everything is on! but the shop did the worst welds i've seen.. will have to be redone in the future.. 

and the truck drives pretty bad, but it was a caster problem, on the way to be fixed

BUT something is bothering me , even with a rfurbished steering box, the steering is still vague and unprecise and turn ratio is like 50/1 i mean it's horrible..

i've seen orangie posts about the rack and pinion conversion but he disappeared , so 

do you guys have any new ideas on adapting R&P ??  my front is 7 in wider so maybe one from another car can fit ? 

and i guess i'll need top mount turbo.. looks like another year project damn... 

• Like 1

I can no longer see any of the pics, so I can't see what your front suspension looks like. 

When you radically change the suspension design, there's a lot of stuff going on there, and R&P isn't necessarily the answer. If it's not done correctly, a R&P steering could actually make it worse. I've driven some really poorly built prerunners, so I can understand what you may be referring to. Bump steer alone can make for a scary drive. Static geometry is one thing, dynamic is something else. 

I could only suggest doing research on steering design, and work to resolve some of the problems the best you can. 

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys , sorry i don't get notifications when you post ... 

nl320what  that looks cool where do you install this ?? 

well steering is fixed , the mechanic put the steering rods upside down so it was creating big bump steer .. fixed , it drives really good now ! 

but now my turbo is dying !!  grrrr i will never finish this thing 

so i found an HKS turbo i will install soon , but now that i will change turbo , i might as well go top mount ! it would clear the steering shaft , as right now the wastegate is sitting on it..

but means brand new custom piping in and out .... 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d8q_wsufyEuy5KSZ1JH-_k37F4TJOgV-