Datsun 720 powersteering

Hum0ldt_720

Hi, new to the forum but have been using it for months to bring my 82 Datsun 720 I bought back from the dead. It have the z22 in it, no powersteering, and was wondering what year or and type (gl, st, lx) came with powersteering. Want to convert it. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power steering was available as an option on all years of 720. I guess you would have to just go to a wrecking yard and check each one for it. The ST (Sport Truck) would probably have it as it was loaded with options. Probably by now the large ST decal will be painted over but look for sunroof and electric windows. You would need the steering box, probably the steering column as it will be shorter, the hoses lines, belt and the pump/reservoir.

• Like 1

Thank you. I actually go lucky and found an 83 st with power steering down the street from me yesterday. I'll be doing the powersteering conversion next weekend. I was also wondering if anyone knows if the fuel injected manifold off the z22e will bolt on to the z22s. I was either going to upgrade to fuel injection or try and find a side draft carb for my truck, but haven't found too much info on either

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Spiff is running z22 injection in his 720. You can try finding his thread or send him a private message

I'm running a Z20E at the moment but yeah all the efi stuff bolts up  :thumbup:  I ran a z24 with the z20 efi for a couple of weeks untill the valve seals gave up :P

I wanna convert to powersteering too so I need the whole steering column also? I twas hoping I just needed the steering box and pump :/

Also, If you're converting to efi, the powersteering reservoir will be in the way but from what I gathered on the 720 fb page you can use the remote mounted reservoir from a d21 instead.

• Like 1

There is more to think about when going from non-tilt to tilt columns in a 2wd truck, the tilt column tube itself is larger round so you cannot use your non-tilt column headlight/turn signal/wiper switch assembly on the tilt column, you need to find the correct year switch assembly for a tilt column that works with your wiring harness, or you will have to make what you need, I believe I was able to switch the headlight circuit from a late switch assembly to an early assembly, but I was never able to switch the wiper circuit, you have to have your type of plugs/wiring for the wiper circuit.

I once made a non-tilt column work on a power steering gear, but I had to grind off the upper control arm corner where the rag joint was hitting the upper control arm, the collapsible part of the column will compress enough to adjust for the taller power steering gear, but in the end I converted over to the tilt column because I like tilt columns. 

• Like 1