521 brakes gave up overnight

DylanLes

Hey y'all! Bought my first 521 a couple months ago, it has all drums, been working on it a ton. The brakes needed pumping to work, So first thing I did was bleed the brake lines and adjust the brakes(thanks to the tutorial on the forum). Since then, the brakes have been running really smoothly, been driving it 4x a week about 15 miles a day. This morning I went to drive it, and my foot hit the floor. My brakes don't work at all. I emergency braked my way back home. Any idea what this could be? It just seems odd that it was so sudden.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you remove the cap to check or just assume there's fluid from the stain on the reservoir?

I checked this morning, there is sufficient fluid in the master cylinder.

Is this the extent of your diagnosis?

The brake fluid isn't low at all, so I didn't think it was a leak. After some research it seems that I need to replace the master cylinder?

Bad mc can do that. See if when u slowly pump brakes,if brakes come back. Mine would go to floor if pedal snapped up too fast. Due to bad mc parts. Converted mine to dual res mc

I tried to pump them, I got nothing, it's not even spongy.

i would also check for leaks on the wheel cylinders on all four corners.

also, 521 drums require adjustment pretty regularly. I had a front wheel cylinder pop out on me once because there was too much play. 

• Like 1

I've been obsessively researching it this week. Did you follow Beebanis instructions ?

i went with the mike klotz (bluehands inc) kit. mainly because i wanted to be able to use my stock steelies. i don't think 14's fit with beebanis kit. but if you're nit running 14's then you're good.

I went with beebani's disk kit, I love klotz items as well.

either way, the MC swap to a duel reservoir is much worth it. even if you don't swap to front disk's.

so next time the master goes out, you still have at least half your brakes!

• Like 1

I went with beebani's disk kit, I love klotz items as well.

either way, the MC swap to a duel reservoir is much worth it. even if you don't swap to front disk's.

so next time the master goes out, you still have at least half your brakes!

Yea. That ^^

• Like 1