80 200sx , low milage purchased run hard

IMG_20160515_092222616_HDR.jpg

Starting this thread not necessarily as a build.. bought a stored car 30 yrs old 5k miles , santa Monica storage then apple valley.

Planned on daily , racking miles but started thinking about preservation..

25000 after about five years with no real work.

Curious what some of you think about running old components​, especially engine rings bearings.

Work was needed on clutch master , fuel pump replace with nos (housing cracked). Finally changed dist and plug wires after about 15k lots of arching

Oil seemed to be dark like deisel on changes , blowby?

Long trips it does well can get 400 miles out of 14gal

.. trip to SB ,CA left engine and coolant Res all but dry.. lost normal oil pressure around LA said fuck it

• Like 2
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems suspicious the oil is so dark for a car with 30K on it. How would you run out of water? Does the temp gauge work? How did you know you lost oil pressure, is there a gauge? Did you keep it filled with oil? Did you check it??? They don't check and top themselves up.

Drifting? Well I believe that if you love your car you don't 'drift' it.

Cars are all designed to handle freeway speeds or people wouldn't buy them. They had 60 MPH speed limits in the 50s and even higher in the 60s.

• Like 3

Sorry poor description of situation..

I have changed oil many times , always seems dark

Last oil change only got 2-3 quarts out.. so I added 3.5, +.5 after start/check.

Calls for 4.25, but always looks like over fill(tough to read dipstick with the extra Reed valve exhaust tube) pics)..

I don't watch the pressure guage enough.. not sure when it dropped. Hasnt happened yet , ..with this vehicle , my 240sx would do so

If oil doesn't spill out? , I do check pressure. Long time but not alot of miles on oil change, before long trip.

Seems interesting to me , maybe I'm an idiot.. drifting was joke , not funny

• Like 1

...missing part of story, car parked after low pressure trip. Next day, dry dip stick and almost dry coolant reservoir.

Added water , a quart of oil and start , good pressure. Parked , checked next day added more, went for change

• Like 1

Drifting? Well I believe that if you love your car you don't 'drift' it.

Horse crap

The majority of people who "LOVE" their special vehicles do all sorts of "spirited" driving

Even old people

Ya geezer

• Like 1

Awesome-ly clean car. I have an '81 myself, not nearly as clean, but for a Southern car in New England it's a rare sight!

As for my thoughts on it, for a car that has (I believe) the original suspension bits that are in need of replacing, its still a great car to drive on the highway, I've been commuting with it 10 miles each way for the past 6 months or so. I also find myself running low on coolant after a while, I've tracked it down to a tiny leak at the radiator top neck, that when it gets hot it drips a a little enough coolant that I don't notice it but seems to take it's toll after a while. I just keep an eye on it and top off when needed.

Great car though, my dad bought one new when he graduated college (he has a notchback though). I love mine.

[/url]">http://http://imgur.com/M1o2SVS'>M1o2SVS.jpg

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...