ignition conversion on 1.3l

Has anyone used the kit Rock Auto has on their web site to convert to an electronic ignition? Is it worth the $177.79 to convert it or is there something better? I have been burning up points like crazy but it was my fault for not having the resistor before the coil. I've fixed that now tho.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pertronix works nicely also and almost no changes are done to distributor other than with a screw driver.  Almost all Datsuns use the same part number... Use the cheaper first gen ignitor 1 it's about 80 bucks

My neighbor just had had his distributor setup changed to the matchbox setup ( ^^ mentioned above ^^ ) and he likes it ,, but he already had all the shit so it was the cheapest route.

• Like 1

Pertronix works nicely also and almost no changes are done to distributor other than with a screw driver.  Almost all Datsuns use the same part number... Use the cheaper first gen ignitor 1 it's about 80 bucks

My neighbor just had had his distributor setup changed to the matchbox setup ( ^^ mentioned above ^^ ) and he likes it ,, but he already had all the shit so it was the cheapest route.

Does the second gen ignitor from pertronix work too? I have a friend who might be able to get me a deal on it is why I ask.

• Like 1

Hey,

I recommend the matchbox distributor conversion linked in post #3. I have it on the J13 in my wagon, and it was quick and not very expensive.

The distributor is currently about $116 on Amazon.

I bought some inexpensive nylon 1/4-28 90* hose barbs off eBay to attach the rubber vacuum line from the disty to the carb vacuum port.

Jesse.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up with the pertronix, the cheap one and I gotta say that it works great!! My car idles soooo much nicer now! BUT now my damn car decided to blow the head gasket. She's just puffing white smoke and it reeks. I don't see any in the oil so that's good I guess. So seeing as I'm going to have to pull the head has anyone used ARP for head studs or is that just overkill. If not what did you use and where can I find em? Thanks

• Like 1

causal effect?...

any chance you could post a link for the pertronix system?

Thanks,

Ken

This is the only link I could find but I didn't order the second generation. When I called summit I asked them for the first generation. It was quite a bit cheaper than the second gen. Not sure what you mean by causal effect?   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-91741/overview/year/1966/make/nissan/model/411