Coolant for Datsun 100A

Hey everyone!

I'm new here so let me just give you a word about me and my car(s)! I inherited a restaured Datsun 100A and multiple dead ones ready to build a running one from my dad. We worked together sometimes but he did the shopping and I just helped him in the garage. Unfortunately he has passed away recently and I'm now the proud owner of the cars (well, together with my brother).

We just wanted to get the running one ready for the street and there is some coolant missing. What do you recommend me to refill the coolant? Distilled Water or do I need some special coolant?

Thanks for your suggestions ;-)

Bluespuke

P.S.: Here some pictures of the beauty in the open field:

100aaction.jpgimg_649120640x480.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your loss. It's nice to see them restored and passed on.

Always use a 50/50 antifreeze coolant mix. Anything compatible with aluminum, which means just about any will do. Antifreeze contains rust inhibitors for the block. Always use distilled water without dissolved minerals in it to prevent scale forming in the rad and blocking the cooling tubes. Top up with distilled water and antifreeze. 

What you can do is install a coolant recovery system. You need the special rad cap that vents coolant but allows it to siphon back into the rad when the engine cools. Also a small container to catch the overflow. I was always topping up my rad in the summer when it was hot. With coolant recovery any coolant expelled is captured and returned over and over. Rad stays full.

That's a really nice example of a 1200 (what we call them) the grills are much different.

Welcome to Ratsun

• Like 2

Nice 100A,

Mike that is a car we did not receive here in North America. It is a Nissan (Datsun) Cherry 100A. A cousin to the F10. If we had received them here it would have been the model prior to our first front wheel drive....yep the 100A is a front wheel drive.

But yes, everything else Mike said about your coolant is correct.

Where do you hail from?

• Like 1

Hey and thanks!

I'm from Belgium, right in the center of Europe! It was my dad's first car back in the 70s. He bought it back from Holland and we restaured nearly everything.

The car was in the garage for almost a year now. My dad told me, that some coolant were missing. I'm going to check in 2-3 hours to see what exactly he needs and if it's leaking somewhere...

I'll keep you posted!

Hey!

Turns out it was just a little short in coolant, nothing was leaking...

A little bit of love, some tire pressure and a little bit of startpilot and it was running again :D

Thanks for the recommandations @datzenmike , the store said the exact same thing (and they remembered which one my dad bought^^) :)