another blown head gasket

nissan720

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So reading through my original FSM on the Engine removal chapter, it appears on the gasoline engine both lower motor mounts are 4 bolt to frame.

So from ]2eDeYe - http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/item/5568-620-ka24-engine-swap-mounts/

these motor mounts should work without issue - you'll still need the rubber mounts but should be okay other than that.

Your other option would be polyurethane adjustable motor mounts for the KA but it'll run you a little more in terms of cost.

• Like 1

Are you doing the 240sx intake or truck? I did the 240 and the original 720 cable is perfect. The mounts line up perfect the trans bolts up and the can am box makes the wiring simple and a custon oilpan. Easy right just a little more to do. Nope you will be in for a whole lot more heartache. My cooling system looks like a Dr Suess contraption. Power steering is a collection of nissan and honda parts. Everything seems to interfere with everything and the intake makes a lot of parts much harder to access. The big items are simple. The small details will drive you nuts.

It's a personal preference that some want, I personally will not daily anything that doesn't have power steering, everything I own except my Datsun Roadster and my 320 trucks have power steering, and I don't daily drive any of them.

Power steering is nice option, it makes steering easier, especially for an old fart like me, Iv'e done the bare minimum, I am past that era, I like basic upgrades, I would ask why anyone would drive a truck that doesn't have the torque to drive up a logging road without ringing the engine out at stupid RPMs even empty just to get to the top of the hill.

My truck did that in the early 90s, I could not get it up the hill in first gear following my friends with that L16 in it, I was embarrassed to own it that day, it was worthless that way, the next weekend it went up a steeper hill in second gear as it had an L20b/5spd, best upgrade I ever made to a Datsun 521 in my entire life.

• Like 1

personally,i like the power steering and  air condition. i drive this truck daily and i also drive it on road trips to shows and different events.picking up my engine today.using the truck intake and all power steering,ac etc.that will come with the engine.just need to get my hands on that can am box now to complete parts list.

Flatcat mine is a 4x4 on 31s. Undrivable without ps. I live in Florida, next project is to get the ac working and I am approaching old fart status. But I have also owned the truck 29 years. Nissan720 I started this whole project by building a cradle for the engine to sit in. I cut the ring off a trans so I could mount a starter and had the engine wired up and running before the install. Mounting the engine then trouble shooting would have sucked because of shitty access. My truck was only off the road 12 days. There were still some bugs to work out and I will make a better cooling system in the future but if you plan on keeping the truck the added power makes it a pleasure to drive

My 620 was on 31 x 10.5s and was 3,400 pounds. I was always parking it so I could just drive away. A three point turn was murder on the arms. Like wano I made my own PS for it and never looked back. Eventually 33 X 12.5s. Another advantage was the truck was nimbler than by using straight muscle power. With the flick of the wrist you were over in the other lane to avoid potholes, debris or another vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a timely conversation for me. I had a 620 years ago, and it did not have power steering. I can't remember missing it, but I was a lot younger then.  Now my daily driver 720 has it and I like it just fine. I thought all 720s had power steering until I picked up an 84 without it. I am just finishing the rehab on that truck and I have been toying with the idea of keeping it and selling my first one. A lot depends on how much I will miss the power steering. I am a certifiable old fart now. Maybe I will appreciate power steering more after my test drive. who knows?

Only one way to find out: A/B.

I used to foo foo power steering but I noticed that in an emergency if you can avoid an accident this is always good. I found on my 620 when I installed PS I could throw it into the other lane with the flick of the wrist. This is on a 3,400 pound truck.

• 2 weeks later...

decided to rebuild a ka24e for the 720 out with the z24.bought a complete used ka for 200.00 it runs ok,but it needs freshening up.its got 219000 miles on it

Put fresh valve stem seals and chain guides and you'll be good for another 220,000 miles.

Too*

I'll work the bottom. You do the top.

KAs aren't really known to be oil burners, as far as bottom end goes.

If compression and tolerances are good, I'd just clean it up and call it good.

But I'm super lazy. And broke.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Motor built and installed.In process of hooking up all the components.After installing the ka,i found out that with the ka its sits a little closer to my radiator.That nice aluminum radiator I was using with the z24.Well I can't use it with the ka,glad i kept my stock radiator! The aftermarket aluminum radiator sits a little deeper than the stock unit.Its a nice piece if you are running the z24.

• Like 2

I have built two L/KA hybrids, though a long time ago. Using a Z or L bottom end and a KA head (with a heavily modified front cover and a custom timing set) allows you to utilize all the stock L/Z front cover, H2O pump, distributor, oil pan, motor mounts, etc.

Not saying you should have done that, but it would have made it possible to re-use the cool aluminum radiator.

• Like 1