Largest wheel/tire fitment for a stock '74 B210?

SPECTRE

I have a stock '74 B210 sitting at my friend's place, the tires are shot and bald and the wheels are rusty as hell. I need to put new tires on it to drive it to my place and thought I might as well get some new cheap wheels while I'm at it. I plan to upgrade the brakes and suspension after I get it to my place. I have seen people on the forums recommend 280ZX strut and brake conversions, and I have also heard of using Toyota 4Runner/4x4 S12+8 or S12W calipers on Datsuns. (Do those Toyota calipers bolt on directly to the stock '74 B210 front suspension?)

What's the largest size and what offset wheels will fit on the stock suspension without requiring fender rolling or spacers, and also accommodate upgraded brakes and suspension in the future? And what size tires?

I was looking at Aero and Bassett wheels, cheap steelies that I think don't look half bad, but they only come in negative offsets, and 7" is as skinny as they come. Would any of them fit?

The current tires are 155/80R13. They are comically skinny and I would like to go as wide as possible for traction and stopping power.

ZOFWp4Z.jpg

Rusty wheel

Mp3GZgD.jpg

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

• Like 2
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you want wider with rims that don't extend out past the fender or they will bub on bumps. You also want something the same diameter (or close) so both your speedometer remains accurate and your performance isn't affected. If thinking of a zx strut swap 14" rims will clear the calipers best.  

Pretty much anything 280zx sized wheel 14 or 15 will fit (+10 offset). Stock offset is I believe +30.

Most 13s will NOT clear 280zx struts. Some will with grinding on the caliper a bit.

You have to watch the diameter of the inner circle (i.e., bearing dust cover) on steel wheels as some are just a bit too small to go over 280zx struts even if they are 14.

Big tire/wheel combos tend to hit the inside drivers footwell/firewall (I.e., right under your foot) before hitting anything else, other spot is very tip of the corner of the fender at the bottom of the front of the arch of the front fender, this can be bent back or removed and is not noticeable. Also, this depends a bit on your fender fitment as I've noticed it can vary a good 1/2 inch from side to side depending on when the fenders were produced. 

I put together a excel sheet a while back with empirically determined wheel sizes on my 74' 4 door sedan, but I have rolled fenders and helper springs in the rear and 280zx struts upfront. I'll see if I can find the screenshot for it and post here or the file.

Edit:

tire-sizes-b210_zpskry5owjl.jpg[/url]

Edited by Dguy210

The speedometer can be adjusted, I check the after market speedometer against a gps. I'm fine with the tire diameter staying the same, or increasing if it fits, but what I am really after is a wider tire.

So how wide can a 14" and 15" wheel be without risking bumping the fender or rubbing suspension? It sounds like 14x7" with a -10mm offset is too wide? I have found basic steelies that I like that are:

15x6   +35mm
15x6   +41mm
15x6   +45mm
15x5.5 +46mm

14x5.5 +35mm
14x5.5 +38mm
14x7   -10mm

According to this site the 280ZX stock had 14 and 15x6.5 wheels with 0 offset. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/280zx/1979/with a 205/60R15, which sounds like too wide of a tire for the '74 B210, or a 195/70R14.

The speedometer can be adjusted, I check the after market speedometer against a gps. I'm fine with the tire diameter staying the same, or increasing if it fits, but what I am really after is a wider tire.

So how wide can a 14" and 15" wheel be without risking bumping the fender or rubbing suspension? It sounds like 14x7" with a -10mm offset is too wide? I have found basic steelies that I like that are:

15x6 +35mm

15x6 +41mm

15x6 +45mm

15x5.5 +46mm

14x5.5 +35mm

14x5.5 +38mm

14x7 -10mm

According to this site the 280ZX stock had 14 and 15x6.5 wheels with 0 offset. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/280zx/1979/with a 205/60R15, which sounds like too wide of a tire for the '74 B210, or a 195/70R14.

I actually run 205/60R15 on a +10 rim (swastika rims off a 280zx) on my rear wheels now. This is with caveat that it is a bit too big and will just rub a tiny bit on one side at the very outer edge/corner of the tire if I hit a bump big enough to bottom out the suspension. However, I have helper springs and rolled fenders on the rear. A +15 or 20 offset would likely let you run on a stockish setup, but I would call this the max size.

No one does that, if it's even possible. If it's out from larger/smaller tires you change the $15 drive pinion gear in the transmission.

Exactly this, or just learn the % it is off. Personally I calibrated mine using a GPS speedometer app on my phone. So mine reads 10% low which for convenience means I just read all the speeds as 5mph higher then indicated, which while not completely accurate is easy and close enough.

I have also heard of using Toyota 4Runner/4x4 S12+8 or S12W calipers on Datsuns. (Do those Toyota calipers bolt on directly to the stock '74 B210 front suspension?)

What's the largest size and what offset wheels will fit on the stock suspension without requiring fender rolling or spacers, and also accommodate upgraded brakes and suspension in the future? And what size tires?

I was looking at Aero and Bassett wheels, cheap steelies that I think don't look half bad, but they only come in negative offsets, and 7" is as skinny as they come. 

No.

On stock suspension anything will fit. It's not low enough to rub on anything.   :rofl:

Bassett makes a 14x7 in negative, zero, and positive offsets. 

So how wide can a 14" and 15" wheel be without risking bumping the fender or rubbing suspension? It sounds like 14x7" with a -10mm offset is too wide?

Not too wide, just too negative of an offset.

I have found basic steelies that I like that are:

15x6   +35mm
15x6   +41mm
15x6   +45mm
15x5.5 +46mm

14x5.5 +35mm
14x5.5 +38mm
14x7   -10mm

None of these will fit. All the positive ones need spacers, the negative one will stick out past the fender. You really want something in a +10 area. 

the 280ZX stock had 14 and 15x6.5 wheels with 0 offset.with a 205/60R15, which sounds like too wide of a tire for the '74 B210, or a 195/70R14.

These tires are not too wide. They are waaaay too tall. 

The 280ZX wheels are a +9, not a zero. And are a PERFECT fit for what you want. And they are usually stupid cheap. 

• Like 1

Yep, changing the gear ratio for the speedometer is what I meant but like Dguy said it's easy to just do the mental math, that's what I do when I put snow tires on my other vehicle.

I'm looking at used and remaned 280ZX wheels but they seem to cost ~$110-$140 per wheel, I'm hoping to spend ~$50-$85 each for new steel wheels.

So, a 14x6.5 or 15x6.5 with around +10mm offset would fit, unfortunately I'm not finding basic steel wheels with these measurements.

Bassett makes a 14x7 in negative, zero, and positive offsets. 

Are you sure? I have not been able to find it. http://www.bassettwheel.com/14x7_14x8_dhole.html14x7 goes up to 4" backspacing, which according to their helpful chart is a 0 offset. The 14x8 goes up to 5" offset which is +12mm offset, but that would not fit, right?

2e8TaPz.gif

Would these fit? These are the widest I've been able to find so far with what seems to be a suitable offset? 14x6 with 4" backspacing/+12mm offset. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wvi-12-460404/overview/

If anyone has links for wider 14" or 15" wheels with appropriate offset I would appreciate them.

Where are you located? Might be someone local to you that has a set of 280zx or equivalent wheels sitting around for not much. I've picked up full sets of decent wheels for what you want to pay for the steelies.

Where are you located? Might be someone local to you that has a set of 280zx or equivalent wheels sitting around for not much. I've picked up full sets of decent wheels for what you want to pay for the steelies.

I live in the middle of BF nowhere in upper peninsula Michigan, but I do keep my eyes out for local stuff.

I'm looking at used and remaned 280ZX wheels but they seem to cost ~$110-$140 per wheel

Around here they are $100 a set...    :rofl:

14x7 goes up to 4" backspacing, which according to their helpful chart is a 0 offset.

And will fit just fine with the right size tire. preferably a 185/55-14, or also acceptable is a 185/60-14.

The 14x8 goes up to 5" offset which is +12mm offset, but that would not fit, right?

No. See below.

And honestly a lot of these questions you're asking are moot since you refuse to roll the fender lips. Why? 

Rolling them would open up a lot more options to you. The real problem is that in the rear, you need +10 or 0 to keep it from rubbing the leaf springs. But then you need a 6" width to keep from rubbing the fender lips.

Honestly, it sounds like you want something aggressive but it has to fit with zero body mods. That's not how this works.  ^_^

14x7 -9 with 185/60-14

crap_003~2.JPG

15x8 zero, 195/50-15

normal_datto_stuff_006~0.JPG

That car had 280ZX struts up front and rolled/pulled fender lips all around. Did not rub on either set, but the rears when it had 15x8 wheels were about 2mm off the leaf spring. 

I'm not against rolling the fenders! I would like to do that in the future to get wider tires on for sure, but for the moment I just need to get the car from my friend's place to my place, so I need new tires, and I was thinking maybe I could get new larger wheels at the same time.

14x7 goes up to 4" backspacing, which according to their helpful chart is a 0 offset.

And will fit just fine with the right size tire. preferably a 185/55-14, or also acceptable is a 185/60-14.

Rolling them would open up a lot more options to you. The real problem is that in the rear, you need +10 or 0 to keep it from rubbing the leaf springs. But then you need a 6" width to keep from rubbing the fender lips.

Okay so a 14x7 with 0 offset with the right tires will be good all around? or will it rub on the fender lips in the rear?

Also, sick ride datsunfreak!

And thanks to everyone for all the help and input so far.

Cheapest option at this point is get some used but good 13 inch tires and get it to your place.

13 inch tires are usually pretty cheap anyways, seriously about 30-40$ new at Walmart. 

You can drive on those for a while and work out the bugs in the car too and not be out too much when you switch later.

It will take a while to get 280zx struts and such likely anyways and having the car running and driving in the meantime helps with motivation.

• Like 1

I was gonna get some of those aero wheels for my b210. but found AR mesh wheels for cheap. Still planning to get them if I don't ever get a good deal those watanabe wheels. Looking to sell my factory wheels with like 90% tread on them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I took the advice of keeping the stock wheels until I modify the suspension/fenders. I ordered a $45 185/70r13 tire from Walmart (free shipping on tires? Whaaaat) and test fit it front and back. Fits good, probably could have gone even wider on the back but I think I reached the limits for cheap 13 inch tires. Thanks for the help guys.