Rebuilding my L20B

ErickwithnoK

Rod and main bearings are available in different materials. The best material is the classic tri-metal construction, but they are getting hard to source. Clevite bearings tend to be tri-metal. If they have a "NDG" stamped on the back of the bearing shell, they are OEM grade.

King and other brands are mostly aluminum material and don't hold up well to abuse. They chip and chunk off and muddle and squish under poor running conditions. They do not like detonation (pinging).

I would ask your parts house guy if he can find a good tri-metal set of bearings. If he shrugs it off, go find another source. Your machine shop should know the difference.

Also, some main bearing sets are full groove, some only have half grooves. If you have the choice, pick the full groove bearings.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely plan on trading in my harbor freight click style torque wrench for a bar style wrench so I can be accurate. Unless someone has a different recommendation. 

​The HF wrenches aren't inaccurate. Without spending Snap-On money, you really can't go wrong. 

What torque wrench to buy yourself really depends on what size you need. This is an area where you get what you pay for. 

• 2 weeks later...