Speed cameras are BS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had them here. No way they are fair. Legislation was passed that the vehicle owner is responsible for how fast another driver drives. We got rid of them and the politicians who would support this abortion.

Course I drive the speed limit or less so no problem.

We had red light cameras in Kansas City when I lived there, luckily enough people fought them and they were banned.  They are BS.   And I try driving the speed limit (max 5 over) when ever possible.  I lost my license 20 years ago for too many speeding tickets, never wanted to go through that again.  

Before claiming it wasn't you driving ask to see any video or still pictures they have as evidence against you. Also, if you got the ticket from a corporation, ask who the legal authority is issuing the ticket. If the ticket does not have the name and seal of the governor of the state it is not legitimate.  

It's funny, I just started the same thread a few days ago in a local neighborhood site and it got flooded with complaints. I did some research and got a bunch of info on this scam. We have cameras that monitor lights at intersections and speed. One day my wife gets a $500 ticket in the mail for running a red light. After reviewing the video she was making a right at an intersection with an island separating a dedicated turn lane. It also had a yield sign controlling the turn lane. There was no law broken, so WTF right. Turns out the City rents these cameras from a private Australian Co. called RedFlex Traffic Systems who has been sued by multiple cities and civil class actions for bribery, predatory miss use of authority, and giving kick back to local officials to keep the money flowing. I did some research on local contract records, and out of that $500, less than $100 of it goes back into my local community, while 80% goes into other pockets. This shit is a total corporate scam

• Like 1

Supposedly Washington law,they can't photograph your face without your permission.  So they won't have the driver on photo. Sadly you get torn.  Part of me says fight, it's BS, hell I can't even fully remember that day, and the city just wants revenue.  The other part says, it doesn't affect your insurance or license, just pay and move on.  

Seems like if they really wanted to make this curve safer, they would find a way to redesign it, not just drop the speed down in a spot where the curve is difficult and you have people that ride your ass like a cheap whore. 

The no pics of face thing I bullshit, the red light cameras specifically take a picture of the front of the vehicle to see the driver.

Fight that shit, the cameras are total BS and thanks to the vast amount of idiots that surround us in the Puget Sound area we are probably stuck with them.

• Like 2

Think they can only take pictures of the vehicles and plates, not the occupants of the car. 

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.63.170

"(d) Automated traffic safety cameras may only take pictures of the vehicle and vehicle license plate and only while an infraction is occurring. The picture must not reveal the face of the driver or of passengers in the vehicle. The primary purpose of camera placement is to take pictures of the vehicle and vehicle license plate when an infraction is occurring. Cities and counties shall consider installing cameras in a manner that minimizes the impact of camera flash on drivers."

Washington State has become a big brother operation, you should see the shit they do to truck drivers, good luck fighting this, the leftists have done a wonderful job at packing the courts with corrupt judges, it'll cost you thousands to fight it and it's rigged against you, good luck though!

• Like 3

If there are two cars in the picture then you can get off because they cannot verify it was you or the other car that was speeding.  At least that's how it works here in D.C (got off one camera ticket and currently in the process of getting off another --both two cars in the picture).  

. . . . . . . you should see the shit they do to truck drivers,  . . . . . . . .

It isn't just Washington. Trucking is tightly regulated and watched everywhere. Just about every state border crossing has a scale, and there are cameras monitoring every movement, watching the wheels and the ICC info on the side of the cab, license plate tracking, and the PrePass system (which they say cannot be used to support law enforcement *cough*bullshit!*cough*).

Add to that the traffic cameras that nearly everywhere now.

And the e-logs.

I got out just as the e-log shit was coming in. It was bad enough that they had the Qualcom box with the satellite uplink that was used to send load info and communicate with the driver, and knew where the truck was, how fast it was going and what direction.

The first run I went on ever my dispatcher called me up, and asked, "Where are you?"

I replied, "You don't have to call me up to know that shit, you have Qualcom!"

What he really wanted to know was how much deck space I had and if I could swing by Dallas/Fort Worth airport and grab a couple tires for an AOG at McConnell AFB.

THIS!!!

I had a lot of coffee when I posted this morning so I was gentle.

You would not have gotten a ticket if you were obeying the speed limit. You were in the wrong simple as that. I have no sympathy for speeders. Not everyone can exceed the speed limit safely, so when you do it, you encourage other incompetent drivers to do so as well. Set a good example with your driving. There are altogether too many people out there that shouldn't even be on the road.

I still think cameras are wrong though. 

• Like 2

Whatever happened to having the right to face your accuser?

The confrontation clause of the sixth amendment doesn't really apply to civil cases only criminal cases,, in Washington state most traffic tickets are civil infractions.

Our lawyer told us that is why most junk car laws are civil infractions to circumvent this... and it worked very effectively on my ass,,,,,,,  i must say .

Here in Queensland we have speed cameras operated by police officers not private contracted civilians.

They are all over the place and over the years their guidelines for how they set up their positioning etc has been seriously watered down to a pathetic level.

Most commonly held public view is speed cameras are revenue raisers for the state govt's here.

Here's a pic of one I took this AM that I saw on the main road nearest me (I often stop and private message a Facebook page that posts the locations of these,with a pic and a geo-location ping from my phone) and then the Facebook page owner posts it as they do with anyone else who supplies such information.

20170427_10011.jpg

• Like 1

The best way to fight a speeding ticket is DON'T SPEED.

Agreed,I do this as much as possible and touch wood last speeding ticket was March 2009. 

I see speeding as basically unneccessary and then when you get a speeding ticket you are giving the govt a "voluntary" extra tax.

Like the late Australian Billionaire Kerry Packer said to a Senate Committee on print media -

" I am not evading tax in any way, shape or form. Now of course I am minimizing my tax and if anybody in this country doesn't minimize their tax they want their heads read because as a government I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra."

• Like 2

Think they can only take pictures of the vehicles and plates, not the occupants of the car. 

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.63.170

"(d) Automated traffic safety cameras may only take pictures of the vehicle and vehicle license plate and only while an infraction is occurring. The picture must not reveal the face of the driver or of passengers in the vehicle. The primary purpose of camera placement is to take pictures of the vehicle and vehicle license plate when an infraction is occurring. Cities and counties shall consider installing cameras in a manner that minimizes the impact of camera flash on drivers."

Damn!  This sounds like the old English Common Law provision that held an inaminate object guilty for a crime!  Such as charging an otherwise good appearing ladder guilty of murder for failing a rung and killing a climber by cracking.  Deemed invalid by the US Supreme Court VERY early.  Cannot recall the exact terminology but if you have retained a lawyer put the stupid ass to work and have him/her do some very basic law research.  They are charging the car with violating a law and accusing the owner of the violation!

• Like 1

By the way!  There are anti-paparrazi caps and visors that detect the UV portion of flash cameras [happens to be the same as speed and intersection cameras] and generate a counter flash that totally obliterates the face when mounted in the bill of a cap.  It would take very little engineering to outfit a license plate frame with such an anti flash or intersection monitoring camera.  Especially useful on current California reflective license plates!

• Like 1

The best way to fight a speeding ticket is DON'T SPEED.

THIS!!!

I had a lot of coffee when I posted this morning so I was gentle.

You would not have gotten a ticket if you were obeying the speed limit. You were in the wrong simple as that. I have no sympathy for speeders. Not everyone can exceed the speed limit safely, so when you do it, you encourage other incompetent drivers to do so as well. Set a good example with your driving. There are altogether too many people out there that shouldn't even be on the road.

I still think cameras are wrong though. 

Yes Mom, Yes Dad.  I really can't roll my eyes hard enough.  I drive this spot quite often, I know the speed drops to 35.  I always try to drive the posted speed limit ever since I lost my license 20 years ago for too many speeding tickets. Swore I'd never do it again. So get off the high fucking horse shit, mistakes can happen.   Prove to me I was speeding and I'll own up to my mistakes.  I've been pulled over a few times and own up to my fuck up and the cops have nicely let me off with a warning.  Cameras don't do that, cities only care about the tax revenue they collect, and the companies running the cameras only care about the pure profit.  Go holier than thou somewhere else. 

• Like 1