280ZX Stereo Modification

So, searching has failed me. Here, Zdriver, hybridz, can't find anything on this topic. I really like the factory stereo the 280ZX GL model came with. I also like having the tape player. So I have no intention on replacing the head unit with an aftermarket unit. Unfortunately, any and all searches for anything regarding the stereo just bring up results for replacing the stereo.

What I'd like to do is add an AUX jack to the stereo. It already has something of an AUX function, given that the cassette player is a separate unit from the receiver. But before I take mine out and crack it open, and start poking at its insides, I have to wonder if anyone here has done this before, and if so, do any diagrams exist for the factory stereo?

If not, I'll try to make a writeup for anyone who happens to still have a factory head unit and doesn't want to replace it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been around the 280ZX for a long time and not heard of someone transforming the tape deck into an audio input. I agree that it sounds very feasible given both methods are just an analog audio input.

On a side note, have you thought about using one of those 3.5mm to cassette adapters? I did use one in a 280ZX for a while.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-07-at-12.31.13-PM.pn

First you should identify which radio you have exactly, by model number. Then finding a schematic becomes possible.

If you want to retain your cassette deck, and add an aux port, there is an easy way of doing that. Find an aux port with a built in switch. It will bypass itself when nothing is plugged in to it. So if you tap the speaker outs for the cassette, when you plug in to the aux it will disconnect the cassette from the outs and only play aux. When you unplug the aux it will default to the cassette connected to the outs and disconnect the aux.

Or this can be done with the radio, the same way.

While not your radio, here's a couple examples outlining what i mean and showing easy ways to identify the correct pins for output.

http://snackeyes.blogspot.com/2011/06/2005-subaru-outback-aux-in-hack-via.html?m=1

http://theamcforum.com/forum/mp3-player-with-old-radio-one-solution_topic16338.html

I am gonna go with you want something better than this....

Screenshot_20170421-130912_zpsodhmcmzo.p

Are you still looking to use the stock stereo... and what are you trying to connect to it ?

You could always add an amp to the factory system .. then add an aux input on the rca input to the amp .. even a blue tooth adaptor... that's the way I'd go instead of opening the factory stereo up... I can elaborate more if you like...

There is that....^^^

But the radio can always be rebuilt to factory spec.

I'm currently researching a much more hardcore redevelopment using an 80s truck radio. But since i know relatively little about electronics, it's going to be a very long and hard road.

Yah, the tape deck adapter had crossed my mind. But I've had bad experience with them and decks that feature auto reverse. I'll have to grab the number next time I'm at the car, but it's the one with the dolby codec and stuff. I'll give the tape adapter a try; It's so cheap I have nothing to lose. And the switching port is a good idea.

I am gonna go with you want something better than this....

Screenshot_20170421-130912_zpsodhmcmzo.p

Are you still looking to use the stock stereo... and what are you trying to connect to it ?

You could always add an amp to the factory system .. then add an aux input on the rca input to the amp .. even a blue tooth adaptor... that's the way I'd go instead of opening the factory stereo up... I can elaborate more if you like...

The idea was going to be attach a phone, an MP3 player, or anything else using a 3.5mm miniplug. But your solution sounds like a winner. Keeps the factory stereo intact, and might also let me keep using the tone knob and such.

If you input at the amp, your tone knob will have not any effect on whatever is playing through the aux port. If you input at the cassette or radio, your tone control will work like normal. Those inputs are pre tone control.