7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnyp

Johnnyp

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cars:Datsun 620 bullet side

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Hey guys just wondering. I have a 620 4 speed l20b dropped 3 inches and I'm having issues with axel wrap any ideas on how to fix this issue or info??? I tried to search it but it only talks about raised 620s

#2 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 71,821 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

Make sure your U bolts are on properly and tight.

New shocks will definitely help.

This is not a common problem for the 620, so did you remove a leaf? Put them back on, or add one..  

Posted Image

#3 DaBlist

DaBlist

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • Cars:Had 521 & 1200, Now 71 Chevy SWB, 72 BMW, 2010 Tahoe

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Common problem when you have more torque /axle twisting than the leaf springs can handle. If you have lowering blocks they increase the torque leverage the rear axle has on the springs or removed leafs lessons the twisting the springs can handle. Many have added a link to handle the twisting so the springs mostly just support the load.

Some designs mount above the axle and some below. There are factory designs that use just one mounted close to the center of the axle also

Traction_Bar4_zpszqgbyvev.jpg

traction-bar_zpsegq3odqj.jpg

sdk-tm-1069-p_xl_zps8dnq9q3h.jpg

"It's like comparing a wooden roller coaster to a modern modern roller coaster. Without a doubt the modern roller coaster is faster, quieter and smoother. But people still love to ride the wooden roller coasters. The sounds, vibrations, jerks and jolts all add to the experience. Sure a wooden roller coaster may not be as fast, but it's sure a fun ride that can equally scare the crap out of you." - Annette

"is it racist to assume that cauliflower is just white entitled broccoli ?" - jrock

"You spend a lot of time pushing on doors that say pull, don't you?" - mhub91

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until they speak - www

#4 Anonymous Waffle

Anonymous Waffle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Cars:76' 620 L.B.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Just throw a pair of slapper bars under your springs, and you'll have less axle wrap and more old school traction.

73%20Datsun%20510_zpsboqn0gll.png

#5 Royal Sierra

Royal Sierra

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Cars:1998 Chevy Z71, Restored 1978 GMC Royal Sierra, 1969 Datsun 521, 1973 Datsun 620, 1974 Datsun 620

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

Check your center pins that go through the leaf pack. If you have lowering blocks sometimes the nipple on the top can shear off causing this. I've had this happen a couple times.

#6 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:19 AM

I'm willing to bet what you're feeling has more to do with a driveline angle issue.  Have you added a spacer at the carrier bearing to straighten driveline angles?  It may be sitting lower than the pinion, but should be mid-way between the transmission output shaft height and the pinion flange height.   Have you corrected the pinion angle after the drop?  Did your new U-bolts come loose?  I'd suggest double nutting or using nylock nuts.  

Is it really axle wrap or a vibration when accelerating?  If its just a vibration, you need to drop the pinion nose, likely with tapered shims at the leafs.  

#7 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 71,821 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Could be the rubber isolator ring at the carrier bearing is rotted away.

Posted Image

#8 G-Duax

G-Duax

prickly in San Antonio

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Cars:73 620 & 90 Toyota Cressida

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

I snapped 2 leaf springs due to axle 'wrap', or as I called it, wind up.

If I had found some good leaf springs, it would have gotten bottom mount traction bars, or 'slapper bars' Waffle calls them.

But couldn't, so it got a 4-link set-up. Did a thread last week about it.

Beebani makes a 3-link + Watts set-up (5-link?) in kit form.

s-l1600.jpg

DaBlist, the set up in your second picture won't fit the 620, no room above the axle.

If I had found a pair of main leafs locally, I was going to use the stock bottom plates that the shocks mount to, and just weld some square tune to them to make the traction bars. The end runner bump stops are easy to find.

"All of a sudden it started making noise, then started losing power. I limped the car home and tried to get it up the driveway, the engine just died."

Why do people do this?

A $100 tow bill is never as much as the extra damage you cause by trying to "limp the car home".

Don't be that person !