• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Rjawm

Rjawm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

That's a 5.0 V8. 

Could've sworn Dablist told me his was a V8...

Yes

5.0 Explorer's seem to be popular donors for the 80's 5.0 Mustang crowd

Aaaaahhhh, disregard what I've said then about the carb swap but not the PATS crap, as I assumed, hate when I do that, it was the V6 model.

Changing a 302 over to carb would be cake. As proven by datsunfreaks post haha

Yes, they are popular as the EFI intake matches that of the GT40 setup, by part number and all.

#22 DaBlist

DaBlist

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts
  • Cars:Had 521 & 1200, Now 71 Chevy SWB, 72 BMW, 1997 Cherokee

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

So I ordered a pair of uncut chipped keys for from ebay for $13 and after deep research on programming a new chipped key all DIY options require a you first already have a working key to add another. Found a locksmith to come out on Saturday for $100 cash to plug in to the computer and program it in. A second key would have been another fee so I used a trick from youtube with the one working key.

I had already removed the ring around the ingnition switch that senses the chipped key to replace the switch so I attached the new chipped key to it and will zip tie it up under the dash. This lets me use the ignition switch and standard keys I had bought before and any new keys going forward will be cheap un-chipped keys.

IMG_20170430_121731814_zpszxjh6xk2.jpg

This is what the locksmith used to program the new key in. Found them for less than a hundred dollars, hmmmm

3268_P_1414029203911_zpsj4czzqjx.jpg

So it starts right up and runs smooth on three year old gas  :thumbup:

Pulled the rear axle to find it already had a axle saver bearing that had failed and messed up the axle shaft so off to the closest wrecking yard. They had three Explorers but only one they would let me take a rear axle shaft from and there cars where all siting on the ground with out wheels, not stacked on bare rims, more joy. Got the car up and the shaft out to find it was badly pitted.

Didn't want to drive another hour to the next wrecking year to take my chances so RockAuto to the rescue, $110 new axle shaft to my door.

"It's like comparing a wooden roller coaster to a modern modern roller coaster. Without a doubt the modern roller coaster is faster, quieter and smoother. But people still love to ride the wooden roller coasters. The sounds, vibrations, jerks and jolts all add to the experience. Sure a wooden roller coaster may not be as fast, but it's sure a fun ride that can equally scare the crap out of you." - Annette

"is it racist to assume that cauliflower is just white entitled broccoli ?" - jrock

"You spend a lot of time pushing on doors that say pull, don't you?" - mhub91

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until they speak - www

#23 DaBlist

DaBlist

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

So this thing has C-clip rear axles shafts with bearings that press into the housing not onto the shaft. With the passenger side having spun a wheel bearing damaging the housing there wasn't really much of a press fit to the install so we put the bearing into the housing with liberal use of JB Weld and made a retaining ring to hold pressure against the seal. We added a steel collar inside the seal shell to transfer the pressure to the bearing with out crushing the seal. Didn't get many pictures as a friend was doing the install while I was putting the bearings on the pumpkin and pinion in.

Ford 8.8 looks like this

IMG_0405_zpslzsmc3vb.jpg

The retaining ring we made bolts onto two of the bolts that hold the backing plate on

IMG_20170516_193244773_zpsmjq9hj3u.jpg

This thing isn't that bad to us who rescue old cars but for the previous owner it was time to walk away

IMG_20170524_175444436_HDR_zpsllcmud4t.j

IMG_20170524_175521362_zpsj6pc6pny.jpg

IMG_20170524_175537839_zps4vnymk7y.jpg

IMG_20170524_175622998_HDR_zpslevg1lh8.j

Been driving it to work all week with a can of coffee open in the back

"It's like comparing a wooden roller coaster to a modern modern roller coaster. Without a doubt the modern roller coaster is faster, quieter and smoother. But people still love to ride the wooden roller coasters. The sounds, vibrations, jerks and jolts all add to the experience. Sure a wooden roller coaster may not be as fast, but it's sure a fun ride that can equally scare the crap out of you." - Annette

"is it racist to assume that cauliflower is just white entitled broccoli ?" - jrock

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until they speak - www

#24 Aibast

Aibast

• PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Location:Milkyway-> Sol -> Earth -> Europe -> Estonia -> Saue
  • Cars:Volvo 740, Renault Master

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

just need a good cleanup

----2000 BMW 320d

----1987 Volvo 740 "van"

----2001 Renault Master - SOLD

----1996 Land Rover Discovery Tdi - SOLD

----1973 Volvo 142 DL 2.0  - SOLD

---- 2001 Volvo V70AWD 2.5 T5 - SOLD

---- 2004 Honda Civic 1.4L 5dr hatchback - Ecodaily - SOLD

---- 1996 Volvo 850 R 2.0L T5 155kW 300Nm - Daily driven family car - SOLD
---- 1979 Datsun 1500 (620) Pickup - Oldtimers rally car project - SOLD
---- 1992 Volvo 850 GL - one winter beater - SOLD
---- 1996 Volvo 480 Turbo - heavily modified trackcar --- youtube videos - SOLD
---- 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo - Turbobrick - TOTALED BY BMW
---- 1973 Volvo 142 GL - SOLD
---- 1983 Mazda 626 GC - SOLD

#25 DaBlist

DaBlist

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

just need a good cleanup

I did the inside 

#26 DaBlist

DaBlist

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Well another Oregon 500/500 is over. Lots tire problems, fixed one flat, used both spare tires and had to buy another to get back to Seattle. But all else went well including my JD Welded axle bearing. I did have to tack weld my pinion nut before leaving as the red loctite wasn't holding. Yes that's a dead Christmas tree tied on top.

IMG_20170604_072154969_HDR_zpsp98n4sna.j

Some people really get into having a theme for their car. This one was a mobile pet crematorium

IMG_20170603_063215530_HDR_zpss1vzfmeb.j

IMG_20170603_062643588_zpsk5jiuj1h.jpg