Shifter doesn't return to center

JoHunt

I just got the 620 running with an L18 and the 63A from a 510. The problem i have is that the shifter is way too loose. It has to resistance to pull the shifter back to center when I go into neutral, so it makes it really annoying to find the gears.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so your sayin the transmission is fine?

just sloppy stick. this is normal as the ears where the bolt or pin goes thru gets spaced out and wears over time and needs to be resqeezed tight. so the stick isn't as sloppy.68-73 4 speed

if the newer style trans the side busshings may be worn and people get a Chysler doorhinge bushin to make this tight again. Theres a write up pn here ck out the search function on chysler door hinge trans

Yes, I do have some play there that I could eliminate. However the issue I'm referring to is that when I push the shifter right to go into reverse there is tension on it, but to the left,1st/2nd gear there is no resistance. The stick just kinda lays limp almost hitting my knee. Is there an adjustment that could be made? Maybe a missing spring?

A 63A would be a dogleg with reverse above first.

R..2..4

1..3..5 ..... got this???

I guess the question is 4 or 5 speed?????

Ok, well its a 4 speed from the 510. I was told it was 63A by the person I got the motor and trans from, but I may have been misinformed.

F4W63 is the 510 (and others) 4 speed.

FS5W63A is the S10 (200sx) dogleg 5 speed, a common swap into the 510

Sounds normal to me. After all you don't want to shift into the reverse gate when moving down into 4th from 3rd or any other gear.

I would try adding washers below #7 and above #5 and tightening the nut #4 below the rubber cone bushings in the shifter (number 8s below) These wear out and the shifter for this transmission is aptly called 'Monkey Motion'. On my 521, when in gear driving, I could move the shifter in a circle the size of a basketball.

620stuff001Large-2.jpg

Number 20 is the striking rod. Where it meets the shifter (actually the control lever) there is a striking pin (number 19 ) held in but two clips (numbers 18) If badly worn you may be able to slip a thin washer between the control lever and the striking rod and clip the pin back in. Basically shimming the slop out.

Alternatively you may be able to put a nut and bolt in, in place of the pin, and tighten the fingers on the control lever together. Have a care you don't want it tight or it won't shift, just enough to remove some of the play.