72 510 with 82 280zx transmission

Hey, I need to put a 82 280zx 5 speed into a 72 510. What parts of this swap are interchangeable (clutch, pressure plate etc..)I know I'll have to shorten the drive shaft,& punch a new hole for the shifter. And what will I have to do to the transmission mount? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple options, I chose to go with the T3 crossmember and use a 280z mount. clutch should be fit for to the flywheel.. 200 or 225mm.. throw out bearing matches the pressure plate.

• Like 1

I'm kinda new to this, will I need to reposition the 510 crossmember any to use it? Oh, & will the 510 hydrologics work with the Zx trans ok? Something else just came to mind, is there any advice about shortening the drive shaft, like does the front of the 510 drive shaft fit into the Zx trans ok? Thanks

Well, if you have a wagon just use the sedan driveshaft. If a sedan shorten the driveshaft 5.5" or to 37 3/8".

The clutch does not care what the transmission is and the transmission does not care what clutch is used. They are totally separate. BUT... the clutch release bearing collar IS part of the clutch assembly and must remain with the clutch you have, even though it is mounted on the clutch arm in the transmission. Keep your old collar it is matched to the pressure plate.... but replace the used bearing. This thing...

IMG_7266.jpg

The 710 I have came with the same 26" F4W63 transmission as is in the earlier 510. I put a zx transmission in and the shifter fit the hole without cutting. By carefully unclipping the speedometer cable and pulling it out into the engine compartment I was able to feed it down the back of the engine and over the top of the transmission to the far side and even though the transmission is longer, it still fit and works in the new location.

I made my own modified mount but you can still buy them for $$$. There is a Dime Quarterly article and plans for making them that uses your old mount. You can almost make them with a hand drill. Anyway a shop could make these for you locally.

5105speedmountmods.png

5105speedmountmods003.png

5105speedmountmods002.png

5105speedmountmods001-1.png

Well it's very unlikely the zx transmission will have the same pinion gear so your speedometer will read incorrectly. Pull your old one... (probably) a 17 tooth Black color code, but check. What you probably will need is to look out for a Black (or what ever color it is) pinion that will fit the 5 speed.

• Like 1

We used the above write up in my brothers 70 510 with much success,,,, BUT if you are less handy with tools and such  .

There are a couple options, I chose to go with the T3 crossmember and use a 280z mount. clutch should be fit for to the flywheel.. 200 or 225mm.. throw out bearing matches the pressure plate.

I

510tm2.jpg?itok=4HKS-Cqd

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/datsun-510-universal-transmission-mount

OR They can also be bought on Ebay but probably same price with unknown quality

and of course you buy a 280z  tranny mount on the rockauto for like $15 bucks,,,,,,,,,,  BOOM!!

And i used this post by carterb on my 4door to haul more whores

carterb, on 18 Jul 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

We'll get you sorted.
    Regarding driveshafts:

159DSCF0619.JPG
    here are four with some specs:
    top : sedan shortened for z 5spd - 37 3/8" between yoke centers (~5 3/16 shorter than stock)
    next : sedan stock - 42 9/16" between yoke centers
    next : wagon shortened (and re-tubed) for z 5spd - 43 11/16" between yoke centers (5 3/16" shorter than stock)
    bottom : wagon stock. - 48 7/8" between yoke centers. Note larger diameter than sedan
    It's a bit of a stretch to use a stock sedan driveline on a wagon with a long tail 5spd.
    --carter

Should get you going?......hell it should get you done B).

One thing DM said is that the release bearing collar stays......even if you are going from 4 speed to 5 speed?  I haven't looked really close at mine, maybe I should.  I have done this with A motors a 56a to 60a trans but not yet with L motors.

All the clutch does is uncouple the engine to the transmission. When you change your transmission does anything change with your clutch and pressure plate? No. It stays on the engine unchanged. It doesn't care if a 4 speed or if a 280zx Borg Warner T5 turbo or a 200sx dogleg is used.

Part of the clutch and pressure plate assembly is the release bearing and collar. They are a matched and integral part of the clutch and MUST be kept together as a unit.

If you get a replacement transmission it may come with the release collar that was used on the doner engine. You have no way of knowing what clutch may have been on it that it is matched to....so remove it.

When I swapped a '79 zx 5 speed into my 710 all I had to do was take my release collar off the 4 speed and put it on the 5 speed clutch arm. How simple is that?

• Like 1

That T3 trans mount is a no brainer. For the $75 it costs, think of all the time saved.

There is an added bonus to a bent steel crossmember too - more exhaust clearance. The bulky stock crossmember means that you can't get the exhaust as close to the body as you can with the T3 style crossmember. If your car is low, this makes a difference.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

somebody told me a long time ago there is a Energy Suspension made GM/Chevy adapter space with a one bolt thru the center that works(like the Z mount)

This is what I used for my swap this weekend. Drilled 2-holes in the trans crossmember for the Energy Suspension GMC/Chevy trannie mount. Center hole in crossmember was pretty big compared to ES mount. Don't want to have trannie vibrations later on.

I tried the spacers to save some money and it didn't work due to bolt spacing. T3 is the way to go for sure.

I had a machine shop cut the stock from the measurements given in DQ article. I drilled holes and mounted them. Not hard at all. I mounted the bottom of the ES mount on the crossmember, then aligned the crossmember to the adapters while I bolted up the top of ES mount on trannie. Lift car up as much as you can. The more space the better. If you have a lift, no worries..

I can post pics next weekend. I already dropped car off the jacks before I posted.

However, here is the article from DQ V5.3 where the GM mount idea was posted with part number:

Tranny%20Mnt.jpg

I shimmed the mount to make it as high as the 510 tranny mount. Bolt the ES trans mount loosely on the crossmember, then align the crossmember with with the adapters, and then bolt the top of the trans mount to the transmission. Best way too do it. I bought the mount at AutoZone. Any auto parts store should have one. Its a very common part..

• 2 weeks later...

I can post pics next weekend. I already dropped car off the jacks before I posted.

However, here is the article from DQ V5.3 where the GM mount idea was posted with part number:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji3ilrwlvjfohse/Tranny%20Mnt.jpg?dl=0

I shimmed the mount to make it as high as the 510 tranny mount. Bolt the ES trans mount loosely on the crossmember, then align the crossmember with with the adapters, and then bolt the top of the trans mount to the transmission. Best way too do it. I bought the mount at AutoZone. Any auto parts store should have one. Its a very common part..

Hey Folks,

Here are the pics I promised..

File%20May%2006%206%2039%2043%20PM.jpeg

File%20May%2006%206%2038%2042%20PM.jpeg

File%20May%2006%206%2042%2055%20PM.jpeg

Hope this helps..