• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:25 PM

Sounds like you got the bleed covered.....
Not sure if yours does or not my slave had a threaded adjustment on the pushrod...
Make sure the slave is returning also before you adjust. It may be extended and only returning a minimal amount....
Goodluck this weekend with it...

#42 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cars:01 Xterra, 03 Accord, 72 620

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

I have many more updates for the truck however today I only have time to ask a question of you datsun vets. Can anyone identify which of these is the reverse and which is for the 4th gear switch? I am currently rewiring much of the truck underneath as mice have chewed the already sketchy wiring job of the previous owner.

IMG_7803.jpg

Also, can I just use a crimped connector onto the 4 leads or do i need to buy new switches? I see originally the switches had wires coming out of them and it seems mine are completely gone.

#43 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

to add to my question, the 4 stray wires do not conform to the wiring diagrams i have been able to find for 72 and 73. i have two red/black wires which i know go to reverse, however for the 4th gear switch i have a light green, and a red/blue. on the 73 diagram i have it shows to two blue/red wires going to 4th gear switch. however the 72 diagram does not show the 4th gear switch at all. nor does it show any blue/red wires on the entire diagram besides in the engine bay relating to the windshield wipers or the windshield washer.

#44 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Still not had the time to give a full write up of everything i've done since my last update. been balls to wall at work. however two trucks came up on my facebook feed and i just HAD to have them. I present to you a 79 KC and 75 with a factory tach! 75 is an auto and the 79 is a 4 speed(was hoping 5 speed)

IMG_7985.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

IMG_7980.jpg

IMG_7981.jpg

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

I posted these on the Datsun 620 Owners facebook group to see if anyone needed parts, seems most people expected me to just charge them only shipping cost on anything they wanted lol. I'll be stripping these and listing everything on eBay. I plan to keep the motors and trans for backups since these trucks are non existent inside KY. I happened to get lucky on this deal and saw an ad that said 'two trucks' and was a picture of the red one and a old Toyota truck. He happened to have the KC at his other property I was able to bundle in the deal.

#45 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

First start up on fuel in 20 years, its turn key now.

I have a new(to me, had it boiled) fuel tank and all new fuel line and new fuel pump

New brake booster along with shoes, adjusters and a couple metal lines and everything else in between.

found some eagle alloys 16x8 i found in a junkyard off a frontier.

lowered the rear with 4 inch blocks, waiting to lower the front once i do a few test drives.

got my custom license plate coming.

got my weber 32/36 installed.

Fixed my clutch issue, it was an adjustment on the master cylinder combined with a poor quality slave.

first test drive should happen this weekend.

i've had to do quite a bit of rewiring, still haven't figured out my brake lights and turn signals on the rear but everything else seems to be working.

I have many pictures i need to upload but havent got around to it.

also i bought two 520's for next years project.

im forgetting stuff but im sure theres plenty more to come once it's driving.

#46 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

Bought one of those fancy pump air bleeders, was able to bleed the system in under a minute. ended up replacing all brake hard lines as they all leaked slightly. ive been driving it for a couple weeks. i'll be uploading random pictures i've taken and not yet uploaded. they will be in no chronological order. had to replace the radiator with one for an l20b as it was the only one i could find online or locally. had to use different upper rad hose as well as drill new mounting places for the bolts. ive got a laundry list of things to do to it still. however it's running and driving and i absolutely love it. going for alignment in the morning then will lower the front end and get it realigned, gotta love firestone lifetime alignments. then off to tint shop for some 5% all around with 20% strip

#47 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

btw if anyone wanted to know the reverse light switch is the top one, and the black and red wires go on either. doesnt matter which.

#48 Draker

Draker

Ratsun-Erect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,537 posts
  • Cars:1971 2 door 510, 1969 4 door 510, 2002 Tacoma double cab

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Glad to hear you are able to put some miles on it now. Can't wait for the pics.

View my 69 510 4dr Sedan - Build Thread
View my 71 510 2dr Sedan - Coming soon.

http://drakers.pl510.info

#49 Z-train

Z-train

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • Cars:72 240Z, 1977 810 Wagon & a 620

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

then off to tint shop for some 5% all around with 20% strip

Lot to be said for limo tint on the rear glass.
Dear God,
We'll give you Justin Beiber,if you'll give us Dio back.

#50 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,710 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Always a good feeling when you get to drive them again. :D

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#51 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

I use a pressure bleeder when I need to, but I'll warn you that they aren't fool proof. I use them to get the system full of fluid and to get most of the air out, but nothing beats the old pump-hold-bleed method. Once the system has been pressure bled, I go around and bleed again manually.

The fool proof pressure bleeder costs thousands of dollars.

#52 distributorguy

distributorguy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Cars:77 Datsun 620, 73 Datsun 620

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I use an HVAC vacuum pump with a brake bleeding container inline.  You can reduce the suction pressure (unlike pressure bleeders) so you don't aerate the fluid.  Works well, and its just leftover tools from a previous profession.  Other than being cumbersome, its handy!

#53 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

got the alignment, ordered my steering components and king pin rebuild set. going with some kyb shocks, i've read xterra shocks are shorter and bolt in. is this true? i figure if they don't work, i'll put them on my xterra LOL. 

#54 jacobbell69

jacobbell69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

I use a pressure bleeder when I need to, but I'll warn you that they aren't fool proof. I use them to get the system full of fluid and to get most of the air out, but nothing beats the old pump-hold-bleed method. Once the system has been pressure bled, I go around and bleed again manually.

The fool proof pressure bleeder costs thousands of dollars.

once i was able to get some fluid going i pumped manually!