Timing cover fitment

Button

Hey guys I just installed the timing cover on my engine rebuild and when I flipped the motor over to put the oil pan on I noticed that the timing cover sits a little proud of the block. The timing cover sticks up a bit more on one side and at it's worse it sticks up about the width of a razor blade ~.015". The timing cover needed to be persuaded to go on a bit but it wasn't too much trouble and seems to align with the head just fine. Also the dowels seem to be centered in their holes on the front of the timing cover. It looks worse in the picture than it does in real life. It's hard to see but your nail catches on it when you drag your finger across.

Obviously this is not ideal but can I run it like this with a new gasket and some Right Stuff sealant or am I screwed? Anyone ever seen this before? Is there something I screwed up?

Timing_Cover_Gap_02_zpsyjuipxaq.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lockleaf. I'm not sure if the deck has been milled since this block came with the motor that came in the car. It doesn't look like it but who knows. I thought about that but if that had been the case the timing cover would want to stick up higher then the deck but since the head was on first I guess it could push the timing cover down but shouldn't the dowels keep it in place or is there a little wiggle room on the dowels? I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks Lockleaf. I'm not sure if the deck has been milled since this block came with the motor that came in the car. It doesn't look like it but who knows. I thought about that but if that had been the case the timing cover would want to stick up higher then the deck but since the head was on first I guess it could push the timing cover down but shouldn't the dowels keep it in place or is there a little wiggle room on the dowels? I'm just thinking out loud.

There is no wiggle room on the dowels, it has to have them and the cover has to align, if you remove them the gear going from the oil pump to the distributor might not align and you will have to pull it apart again, I have never seen anything like this before, the bottom should never change, can the dowels flex that much?

I think Crashtd420 went thru that issue because he lost a dowel and could not get the gear in because the cover was not aligned.

I can confirm that.... missing dowel caused missalignment of spindle shaft and bound the crank....

There is no wiggle room putting the cover on... it was a snug fit for me too... if the dowels are there and it's good to the head I'd say it sounds like it was done right...

Put the distributor spindle in and if it goes in smooth and you can rotate the crank without binding I'd think you'd be ok ....

I think the manual even says to apply a little rtv sealant on the joint to...

And with the cork gaskets i think it will take up that error...

but that's only my opinion others have assembled way more datsun engines than me, I'm sure they will post soon too...

• Like 1

Check that the cover is correctly fitted... probably is. The head is not going to like being up at the front like that.Scratch a line across the cover that's sticking up and have a shop mill it down.

Hell I would remove and try a belt sander. Slightly too much is ok, that can be filled with gasket and goo.

• Like 2

If higher on one side maybe the dowel on that side fell out. These are usually a better fit than this. If you can't find anything definitely would use a belt sander to knock it down some. Then find a Chevy owner and borrow some of his blue rtv.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all the  input I really appreciate it.

Sorry for the confusion, this photo was taken with the engine upside down on an engine stand and this is where the timing cover meets the oil pan side of the block. When I assembled this I put a new head gasket on, torqued the head down then put the timing cover on which didn't seem to push up or deflect the head at all. I didn't notice an issue until I flipped the block to put the oil pan on.

The motor still seems to spin fine and the crank doesn't seem to be binding in the timing cover but I will pull all the spark plugs later and verify this. So if that checks out I think I am just going to put the oil pan on with a little extra sealant near that joint, cross my fingers and pray to the Datsun gods that it will all work out. With the luck I have been having with this engine it probably won't at which point I will be back, and you can all laugh at me, and we can try again.

Any last thoughts or concerns before I do this in about 7 hours?

You did have the distributor spindle shaft and oil pump installed When you spun the motor over right... the spindle shaft is what will bind if there's a miss alignment.. goodluck.. and don't force it

Crashtd420 that is a good point - I currently don't have the oil pump or spindle shaft installed. I was planning on installing the oil pan first so I could fill the oil pump with oil before installing since I didn't want the oil to pour out when I inverted the motor but I will test fit the pump and spindle first to make sure everything is good, and isn't binding.

Thanks Mike for the clarification, it's hard to tell but the motor is flipped upside down. In hindsight my picture wasn't very clear and lead to more confusion than was necessary.

Hey guys I just installed the timing cover on my engine rebuild and when I flipped the motor over to put the oil pan on I noticed that the timing cover sits a little proud of the block. 

Not you... it was me. Your first sentence says it all. Usually the fitment is good. Makes me wonder if the top fits against the head ok.