Cheap Container Ideas For Parts Storage?

I'm looking for ideas for cheap, stackable containers strong enough to hold heavier parts and/or be stacked.

Right now, I use booze boxes, and they're OK for most things, size-wise, but they're not strong enough to be stacked more than 3 high, especially when they have a little weight in them. They also degrade really quickly. The price is right, though.

I can't afford to buy new industrial-style bins. I need dozens, and it's not in the budget.

Does anybody have cool solutions for holding crap? If there an industry that regularly uses and discards heavy-duty boxes and containers?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about you sell us some parts and have less things to put away? Lol

Then there'd be nothing for my family to throw away when I die.

(and I want to put all my possessions in one-sized container for stacking and moving. hence the need for dozens. I'm not overflowing with parts)

I have been using these for years. Get the 12 gallon size. I prefer the solid color ones, as the ones with the clear bottoms tend to get brittle with age.

39120-P-2T.jpg

Shop around. They pop up all the time for about $10 to $12 each.

They are just the right size so most stuff fits, but they don't get too heavy. They are stackable, tough and easy to handle.

• Like 3

Boxes for coolant are super heavy duty. They hold six gallons of coolant, around 45 lbs or more. Make a buddy at the local auto parts stores who will keep them set aside for you or offer him a buck a box for them.

• Like 3

I have been using these for years. Get the 12 gallon size. I prefer the solid color ones, as the ones with the clear bottoms tend to get brittle with age.

39120-P-2T.jpg

Shop around. They pop up all the time for about $10 to $12 each.

They are just the right size so most stuff fits, but they don't get too heavy. They are stackable, tough and easy to handle.

Day too late, but... http://tools.woot.com/offers/akro-mils-totes-with-hinged-lids-case-of-6?utm_source=Rakuten_lw9MynSeamY&utm_medium=affiliate_1&utm_campaign=Rakuten_437846&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-TU3BsnD56iXc9MNg9C.OsQ

• Like 1

On Amazon, $133.98. That's $22.33 each. They have gone up a bit since I bought them last. Still not too bad considering they last a long time and are durable.

I have a few small boxes like that, but only because someone gave them to me. That stuff is too expensive.  One can point to poor people who repeatedly buy cheap crap that ends up exceeding the cost of a quality product that would have lasted, but the fact remains: you have to have money to spend it. I'm not taking out a loan to buy 30 storage boxes.

The ideal solution would be some sort of 2-3-ply corrugated containers, or more durable plastic items that get 'retired' regularly by some local industry. 

I can see why those boxes might be worth $22, but can't see why they cost $22.