VG30 Parts truck build

captain720

On 8/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, captain720 said:

Also if anyone cares the 1984 automatic has a 3.8 rear end as opposed to the common 3.7 in the standard

The 1980 720 regular cab used 3.889 with the L20B.  On my 84 I plan on running the 3.70 gear ratio with the automatic.  If this seams sluggish then I will go back to the 3.889 gears and add a 2 speed electric overdrive.

• Like 1
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, captain720 said:

You win some you lose some its not the end of the world. At the end of the day all the trucks end up better off. I have 3 720s and have had a D21 they are fun and its good not to get too attached. More updates should be coming soon

yeah i know. but i like the body style and i have memory's of the one truck and i would like to keep one or 2.

i have a video of my uncles old Nissan 720 on YouTube from when me and my old roommate got it running in noJack.
and i had a D21 too.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

The 1980 720 regular cab used 3.889 with the L20B.  On my 84 I plan on running the 3.70 gear ratio with the automatic.  If this seams sluggish then I will go back to the 3.889 gears and add a 2 speed electric overdrive.

i have an auto 3 speed and 2 manuals. what one is better?

• Like 1

The manuals shift faster and last longer. I am using a diff out of an auto because it's a 3.8 instead of a 3.7 and a 5 speed manual. The manual also gets better MPG and is more reliable as the 3 speed autos actually use graphite that doesn't last very long (150k) whereas a manual in a 2wd lasts forever with the appropriate yellow metal safe GL4 oil in it

• Like 1
1 minute ago, captain720 said:

The manuals shift faster and last longer. I am using a diff out of an auto because it's a 3.8 instead of a 3.7 and a 5 speed manual. The manual also gets better MPG and is more reliable as the 3 speed autos actually use graphite that doesn't last very long (150k) whereas a manual in a 2wd lasts forever with the appropriate yellow metal safe GL4 oil in it

ok

• Like 1

I would examine the oil that comes out of your transmissions and then wither just put the best one in or I would have a go at rebuilding the ugliest one just to have a go at it. Do you have an Instagram? Feel free to DM @captains_garage. If all else fails just go lower miles on the trans and see what happens. Did you happen to get any weber carbs in the mix?

I am doing a manual swap right now and would happily go over the details 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Doomedwalker said:

my uncles truck was a 85.

i want to do a manual swap what transmission is better a 1985 5 speed or a 1984 5 speed?

the 85 has over 300'000 km

the 84 5 speed is in a 4x4 that is not running atm. i did a headgasket but not all things went right and i am pretty sure my intake manifold gasket is not good as i wasnt able to get all the old gasket off.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, captain720 said:

I would examine the oil that comes out of your transmissions and then wither just put the best one in or I would have a go at rebuilding the ugliest one just to have a go at it. Do you have an Instagram? Feel free to DM @captains_garage. If all else fails just go lower miles on the trans and see what happens. Did you happen to get any weber carbs in the mix?

I am doing a manual swap right now and would happily go over the details 

dont know if i would want to attempt an rebuild and dont really have a dry place to work in just my dads yard and in the shop if i need to get out of the weather.

i did get a carb rebuild kit. and resently changed my rad.

• Like 1

The Redline Weber Kit you want order is K646.

This kit comes with all the stuff in the picture in the link.

https://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?part=K646

I do not recomend Carbs Unlimted, bad custromer servicer after the sale.  Just for visual.  Call PIerce Manifolds to place your order.  You can pay over the phone I have done this many times over the years.

I looks like PIerce manifolds Web site is being up dated.

So I was given a 3.0 V6 out of a 87 maxima with 720 mounts and a 86 300 z automatic transmission. The engine has 125K on it and came out of a wrecked maxima. I really dont want to end up with a automatic at the end of the day, a 720 transmission would put a starter in an exhaust manifold. 

I searched and didnt see anyone doing this in a 720 but I now have all the stuff was just curious if anyone had actually done it and if you could point me to that thread or any additional info. Making the v6 carborated shouldn't be too much trouble but would it be better to just buy a 300z 5 speed? The automatic is the same length as the 720 trans and fits the 720 driveshaft 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, Charlie69 said:

The Redline Weber Kit you want order is K646.

This kit comes with all the stuff in the picture in the link.

https://www.carburetion.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?part=K646

I do not recomend Carbs Unlimted, bad custromer servicer after the sale.  Just for visual.  Call PIerce Manifolds to place your order.  You can pay over the phone I have done this many times over the years.

I looks like PIerce manifolds Web site is being up dated.

ill keep that in mind but 425 CAD is alot of money when i dont have an income lol.

6 minutes ago, captain720 said:

So I was given a 3.0 V6 out of a 87 maxima with 720 mounts and a 86 300 z automatic transmission. The engine has 125K on it and came out of a wrecked maxima. I really dont want to end up with a automatic at the end of the day, a 720 transmission would put a starter in an exhaust manifold. 

I searched and didnt see anyone doing this in a 720 but I now have all the stuff was just curious if anyone had actually done it and if you could point me to that thread or any additional info. Making the v6 carborated shouldn't be too much trouble but would it be better to just buy a 300z 5 speed? The automatic is the same length as the 720 trans and fits the 720 driveshaft 

is the auto 3 speed or more?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Doomedwalker said:

is the auto 3 speed or more?

Doomed walker I love your enthusiasm and don't want to be rude or anything but would you consider starting a thread for your projects and leave this one for the discussion of my potential 3.0 V6 swap? Thanks buddy. No hard feelings at all just want to stay on topic if that makes sense

Not sure how many gears in it

Edited by captain720
  • Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 10:47 PM, captain720 said:

I would say an automatic is almost instantly shifted, after all there are  no gears to change, just the engagement of clutch discs to direct power. As for lasting longer I would guess about the same but a manual is much easier to abuse than an automatic. It relies on good hand / eye / foot coordination, something an automatic doesn't. Standards do get better mileage but it's not huge.  The late 720 and all later automatics have a locking torque converter and the L4N71B is an over drive 4 speed automatic, so even less difference in mileage.

1 hour ago, captain720 said:

A 720 71B transmission will never bolt to a VG and on top of that, would never survive long. You would want a VG transmission like the 71C from an early Hardbody, assuming a FWD VG block will have suitable mounting points for RWD locating. I think the FWD mounts are at the front of the block but perhaps the holes are there along the sides for RWD use. On top of this the FWD oil pan will never work in a RWD 720. A VG oil pan and pick up from a Hardbody might work. A300zx (non turbo) 5 speed will also work.... they were also the same FS5W71C type through '86that was used in the Hardbody truck, but wreckers will likely charge more because ZX!!!. Carb is easy enough like you say but what will you do for distributor? The VG uses a CAS and needs input from the EFI that you plan to delete. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, captain720 said:

Doomed walker I love your enthusiasm and don't want to be rude or anything but would you consider starting a thread for your projects and leave this one for the discussion of my potential 3.0 V6 swap? Thanks buddy. No hard feelings at all just want to stay on topic if that makes sense

Not sure how many gears in it

yeah sorry was just curious and i just reply every time someone reply's to me ill leave. 

• Like 2

Mike the VG bolts into a 720 and I have all the custom bits and Bob's to make it fit from oil pan to mounts just need to get a trans. If it is a 4 speed its tempting to make it work although how much computer input does it require?

• Like 1

The early VG powered 2wd D21 Hardbody through Aug '89 was an L4N71B with the 4th gear over drive. All it had was the electrical switch to enable/disable the over drive, and the kick down switch on the gas pedal that all automatics have. After August the RWD automatics changed and 'talk' to the EFI and/or the emissions systems to decide what the optimal gear to be in is.

• Like 2

On the later model EFI automatics E4N71B there is also a transmission controller box that also talks to the ECU and the trans.

There is a lot of wiring involved to run an E4N71B transmission.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1