VG30 Parts truck build

captain720

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It physically pains me to post this update..........

I was just starting to make progress on getting some 720s together (new rear leafs for the 4wd and work on white truck) when an absolutely deplorable thing happened. Me and my daily blue 720 were involved in a 4 car smash up cause by one person who ran away. So now I have no daily, my orange 4wd is out and my white truck currently being built while now this blue 2wd (the daily) is totally gone.

Obligatory oics

IMG_20180710_135745383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_135738486_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180710_135735686_HDR.jpg

If it was a 510 someone would want to save it still, but it was a rotted old 720 that no one but me cared about. So unless someone has a better idea it will be striped for parts and the frame crushed while I ride my bicycle around putting together the white truck..........

Edit-no injuries

Edited by captain720
  • Like 2

I haven't checked to see if the frame was bent. I ended up in a pile up due to a very uniteligent driver 4 cars in front of me. (Big car accidents are really rare in this town) but it was really rusted out so I probably won't even bother checking for a bent frame. Only going about 25 and the nose ended up going under a Honda pilots rear end.

• Like 2

Happy no one was hurt.  It sucks but do not surmise the frame is bent.  It looks like you hit a vehicle high enough to miss the frame.  Now go buy a 521 call Wayno and have you a driving 521 by Monday morning.  Problem solved.  LOL

I have the 85 ST cab that needs a radiator support that if you were here I would give you.  You could throw this cab on your frame with your bed some wite fenders and hood and you would have a patirotic red white and blue truck.  LOL

Looks cosmetic. The bumper is bolted to the frame and it's barely touched. Hood, left fender, left inner fender, rad and rad support, valance, grill, clutch fan, hi/lo beam and left side marker light.

• Like 1

Attachment is the source of all pain.

ergo - life is too short to get hung up on a vehicle that would take more to repair than it's worth (not judging, just using your own assessment).

A few years ago, I was moving my '58 Chevy fleetside short bed truck into the shop when the tire chock moved, allowing the truck to roll down a hill into a tree, smashing the driver side fender and pushing it into the door. The body panels were near perfect before that and it hurt me so much to see the damage, that I couldn't look at it anymore. I sold it the next day. (Got good money for it too)

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Sorry I've been out for a but but I'm back now and the smoke cleared!

Since the smoke cleared out I started striping the blue truck and cleaning the white truck (almost got that harness out) I started taking the blue truck apart pics and videos soon.

Also if anyone cares the 1984 automatic has a 3.8 rear end as opposed to the common 3.7 in the standard

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see you back Captain!  Good info on the rear end ratio with the automatic.  Your white 84 has the Z24 engine also.

Let me know when you have the 84 parts rounded up.  Still need them.  720s are getting rare down here in the wrecking yards.

• 8 months later...

Finally got some work done and thought I would include some photos.

Almost the whole truck is gutted so I pulled the dash to get at the wiring harness and tore out the extremely nasty carpet, photos do not do it justice.

IMG-20190504-093323156-HDR.jpg

The floor is mostly nice underneath.

IMG-20190504-112153217-HDR.jpg

Does anyone know what this material is on the floor and how to best remove it?

IMG-20190504-122102212-HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Floors look like it's in good shape. That is tar sound deadening material. I would probably leave it unless you suspect rust under it. If you want to remove it, get dry ice, put in on the tar, freeze it. Then use hammer and hit it. It will just fall off.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Draker said:

Floors look like it's in good shape. That is tar sound deadening material. I would probably leave it unless you suspect rust under it. If you want to remove it, get dry ice, put in on the tar, freeze it. Then use hammer and hit it. It will just fall off.

Thanks I never would have guessed that! there is a small amount of rust under one corner so I will have to remove a bit of it.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Doomedwalker said:

Sorry for your loss. 
but on the subject of having more than 1 i had 4 at one point now i have 3. and i have seen your youtube channel was wondering why i didnt see much on your trucks.

You win some you lose some its not the end of the world. At the end of the day all the trucks end up better off. I have 3 720s and have had a D21 they are fun and its good not to get too attached. More updates should be coming soon