Windshield replacement DIY?

d.p

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean cab window sheet metal, get liquid dish soap and a nylon string, put the gasket around the glass, lay the string in the gasket groove that receives the cab, soap it up, set the gasket and glass in the right orientation, apply light pressure against the glass while pulling the nylon string into the cab. you might have to work at the starting point to get it to overlap the cab sheet metal. Wash away soap with windex. Seal with window sealer if you think it will leak. Done

I learned the hard way - no not put the seal on the truck, then try to install it.  

The seal goes on the glass, pull the rope into the truck as described above.  Two guys did mine together, started and finished the job in well under 10 minutes.  One guy pushing and slapping the glass into place, the other pulling the rope and giving direction.  They used a bit of commercial cooking spray for lube as it contained no silicon.  (Cheap industrial sized Pam from Costco).  

All done, got a local glass shop to help me install it.  I didn't seal anything and the guy told me if it does leak bring it back and he will seal it for me.    There was some sealant already there that was hard as a rock and the guy thought it was rubber cement.  Little to no rust whatsoever as well, little surface rust on the driver side bottom corner but nowhere else.  

This what you recommend?

42d70fb7-569e-4b10-8c3f-c1ce1c80553e_1.3

Goddamn night and day difference between my old de-laminated glass and this new one,  green tint is barely noticeable now that its on the truck and its clear as day.  

34261923736_d513a4de96.jpg

34171241521_6652880601.jpg

33460493714_027c385b78.jpg

Damn and for 75... nice score.... i actually saw that windshield and another one in Vermont on that same sight you mentioned, located only about 3hrs north of me ... maybe I'll see if that ones an old stock too.... vacation to the white mounts might be coming....

Yeah they would not ship it so I guess you would have to drive up there.  And they should be able to tell you if its new or not, ask for pics.  

Definatley... I actually just saw another one... no price but they are about 20 minutes from me... but it says b210 in the side not... I might call both and just see what they have in general....

My original windshield is intact but has a wierd haze to it.... if I could get that kind of deal u got and be able to pick it up i would go for it... we shall see...

Don't use parts store silicon sealer .. Go to automobile paint store or back to windshield installer and buy what they recommend .

If you go back to installer with clear silicon on that shit,,, there is a good chance he will kick you square in the nuts.

• 6 years later...
On 3/29/2017 at 10:32 PM, d.p said:

I can't take it any longer, I have to replace my windshield.  Wondering if this is something I can do myself?  I assume its just cut away the old gasket, remove the old windshield, install new gasket, install new windshield?  Does it need to be sealed as well? 

Looking for good NOS or comparable aftermarket gasket if anyone has a line on one.  

Hey!

I totally get the hesitation, but I replaced my windshield recently with the help of a DIY Windshield Repair Kit and it turned out to be surprisingly manageable. Your steps are pretty much on point, but don't forget a good sealant - crucial for a tight fit. If you're up for a hands-on project, it's worth a shot. Safe windshield replacing!