Windshield replacement DIY?

d.p

I can't take it any longer, I have to replace my windshield.  Wondering if this is something I can do myself?  I assume its just cut away the old gasket, remove the old windshield, install new gasket, install new windshield?  Does it need to be sealed as well? 

Looking for good NOS or comparable aftermarket gasket if anyone has a line on one.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the gasket.... I got mine on ebay.... crossing my fingers.... I did see rockauto has one for about 55... not sure the quality....

As far as install I think it's the old school rope/string method....

Probably want an extra set of hands...

Not sure but the way I was gonna do it was install the seal on the window... put a thin rope in the groove where the metal from the cab is gonna sit...

Then I figure set the lower edge in, now as some holds the windshield from the outside on the inside you should be able to pull the rope out moving up the side and around the top.. it should be pulling the inner part of the seal out and around the cab metal... should be that easy... maybe a little soap and water too....

• Like 1

If you have two people, you can do it yourself. If you are a pro, you could do it with one person.

Cut the old seal out with a razor blade, the old class will lift right out. Do the string method mentioned above. I installed glass in a 521 once, it was fine. Just a standard rubber seal.

• Like 1

After you get the old windshield out, clean the area that hold windshield weather strip.  Then get some popsicle sticks, set the old windshield on them, center the windshield left and right, up and down.   look at the gaps between the glass, and sheet metal, and even up the gap as much as possible.   file or grind the edges where the different sheet metal body pieces do not match exactly.  Look for any thing that might hang up the rubber weatherstrip as it is pulled over the edge of the sheet metal.   Repair any rust damage under the weather strip.

The Nissan 521 chassis and body manual describes the windshield removal and replacement process very well.  Down load it from this page, about 2/3 of the way down the page:  http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htm

I would suggest getting a windshield glass technician to help.  If you do all the prep work, it will be not that expensive compared to the cost of the glass.  Tell the glass technician it is a weatherstrip windshield.  A lot of glass people now do not have a lot of experience with weatherstrip windshields.

• Like 1

Do on a warm day when the sun has softened the gasket. Push out from the dash side up in a corner and work the gasket out slowly. Take your time, the glass will flex, but only so far. Work across the top to the other side worked for me.

• Like 2

Clean cab window sheet metal, get liquid dish soap and a nylon string, put the gasket around the glass, lay the string in the gasket groove that receives the cab, soap it up, set the gasket and glass in the right orientation, apply light pressure against the glass while pulling the nylon string into the cab. you might have to work at the starting point to get it to overlap the cab sheet metal. Wash away soap with windex. Seal with window sealer if you think it will leak. Done

• Like 2

Good news... pilkington has glass for $295 but they want to charge me $205 to ship.  Local windshield installer will get it from pilkington for $295 + $50 (corporate account) shipping but I would then need to pay for the install and a gasket.  Don't know how much install is yet but the gasket from dapsupply is $110.  Is that the going rate for them? 

• Like 1

Highly suggest a tube of liquid butyl rubber. Inject lightly under the seal once installed, before installing trim. If you get any on the car, and petroleum based substance will wipe it away.

What does this do? 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my PPG windshield today. Only bummer is it is green tint which I am on the fence about, but for the price I guess it can't be beat.  

Anyone have a green tinted windshield, if so how you like it?

33865683120_c64259681f.jpg

• Like 2

Found it on car-part from a junkyard in New Mexico.  They were the only ones willing to ship. 

$75 for the window

$168 for shipping

$76 for the gasket

$319 total.  

Good point about seeing it in the sun, I did set it outside but its raining and overcast here.  

33456092563_7319ef46fd.jpg

• Like 1