Guess this sound L16 521.

d.p

Developed this weird knocking sound which seems like its coming from the starter or somewhere close to it. Seems to come and go and just recently started doing it and sounds like a metronome.   Only recent work has been new alt, VR, fuse block and adjusted my slave.    

Have another longer video if this one doesn't suffice.    

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the tempo relative to car speed (not engineer speed)?  Sounds more like something dealing with the wheel rotation - or something that is swinging and hitting something.

This could be a new thread/datsun game show!    

Tends to do it while on the gas. If I slow down, take it out of gear and or stop the sound tends to stop. Like if I am parked and rev it up by the time I get out and try and look in the bay it has already stopped.  Looked again and it sounds like it's coming from the voltage regulator which I replaced a couple weeks ago.

I disconnected the yellow T connector from the alt and the sound went away although I didn't drive it around to be sure.  Didn't try disconnecting the VR but will try both again today.    

I had ordered a Japanese VR from ebay but as you know that shit takes forever to arrive.  So I ordered another domestic VR from rock auto and will see if it fixes the issue, could be new alt too but I can get that replaced if needed as well.   

• Like 1

Got another VR from rockauto but its solid state instead of mechanical.  Weird because it was the exact same one I ordered a month ago which is mechanical.  RA useless and said well its the right part and it will work.  Went ahead and threw it on and it seems to have solved the problem for now (at least sitting in my driveway).  

I had RA sent me the wrong part. Its was a brake MC for a 510. theyre were 2 types sold. I got one was correct the other was wrong but for the other type. I told them and they sent the wrong part. so they sent another. but was wrong again then said I had the last one of the one I needed. only difference is the output is spaced closer together  sure they both work.   Both were Chinese made so it wasn't worth sending back as they were so cheap

Rockauto used to sell the Bosche marked mechanical VR and were price right. but these parts are drying up if avail and now the Jap mechanicals are about 65 and up.

I go with the cheap solid state units but thay can pop of you don't mount them tight or something not grounded right..  when they were 20$ I would buy like 2 or 3 at once.