Are You Ready? 720 KC build

reelmagic

So I picked up my first 720 about a month ago.  Back in the old school mini truckin' days I had a standard cab '89 Mazda B2200 and my brother had an '85 Nissan 720 standard cab.  I always liked his truck.  This one is an '85 King Cab white with blue interior (which happens to be the same color scheme my brother had).  Of course back then we rolled lowered with tilt beds on 14" & 15" rims - good times. 

This truck has 90,000 miles and is in pretty solid shape.  The interior is in good condition and the body is solid.  The only rust anywhere is a couple small bubbles at the bottom of the drivers door - and I mean small.  It has its share of 32 years of dings and dents. I've already picked up a couple parts for it, including a set of 17" Titan rims.

Plan for the truck is a slow build as time and money permits.  I plan to get any bugs taken care of first  and then get the truck sitting as I want it to (static dropped on spindles).  I have a vision but its going to be a plan as we go type of build.  Once I get it the way I want it, I will probably tear it all down and make it show ready...or maybe not...not real sure yet.

Some problems I already resolved:

When I first bought it I could barely drive it for any length of time - it had a terrible smell and fumes in the cab.  I thought from the beginning it might be a clogged cat.  I took it to an old school muffler guy here in town and he listened with a stethoscope for an exhaust leak, but could't find one.  He wasn't sure my cat was clogged but I had him cut it off put in a straight pipe and YES the problem is gone!!

The washer pump wasn't working.  I picked another one up from a guy who was parting another 720 and problem is resolved.

The issues I want to take care of shortly:

1. The blinkers work sporadically.  One day they work perfect, the next maybe not at all.  It seems like if I play with the wheel and the switch they will come back on.  Maybe a ground issue inside the steering column?

2.  It runs real good - except it seems at times that the idle is a little high.  Because of this sometimes it diesels when shutting it off.  I'm thinking I need to check the linkage first?

3.  I'm not sure whats going on with the clutch.  At first I thought the clutch was bad.  It felt real soft.  But the more I drive it, the more I think it's getting better (if thats possible).  It still will not spin the tires when dropping the clutch, so maybe it is bad, or maybe its just not fully engaging?

4. I've got a bit of a shake in the steering wheel - most items under the front look good - except the ball joint have grease leaking out of them.  I'm thinking thats my issue.  I will probably wait to address this when I lower the truck.

Once these things are buttoned up then I'll start making it MY truck.  Here are some pictures:

IMG_3584_zpsqhocw1xc.jpg

IMG_3656_zpsenrswt8s.jpgIMG_3651_zpsanqnxbdq.jpgIMG_3647_zpsgwn53nd7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A/C, but no power steering. Is that what I see in the pic? Looks straight and solid to me. Nice find. The thing I appreciate most about rehabbing this model and this brand is that it is still feasible to find clean and reasonably priced examples that just need a little TLC and a few bucks to bring you a good return, in terms of service.

Nice seats!

• Like 1

1. The blinkers work sporadically.  One day they work perfect, the next maybe not at all.  It seems like if I play with the wheel and the switch they will come back on.  Maybe a ground issue inside the steering column?

2.  It runs real good - except it seems at times that the idle is a little high.  Because of this sometimes it diesels when shutting it off.  I'm thinking I need to check the linkage first?

3.  I'm not sure whats going on with the clutch.  At first I thought the clutch was bad.  It felt real soft.  But the more I drive it, the more I think it's getting better (if thats possible).  It still will not spin the tires when dropping the clutch, so maybe it is bad, or maybe its just not fully engaging?

4. I've got a bit of a shake in the steering wheel - most items under the front look good - except the ball joint have grease leaking out of them.  I'm thinking thats my issue.  I will probably wait to address this when I lower the truck.

Once these things are buttoned up then I'll start making it MY truck.  Here are some pictures:

1/ There's no ground inside the column for the lights. Power goes to the signal bulbs then to ground to turn them on. Could be worn or need cleaning the dust and dirt out. Maybe remove and flush with electrical contact cleaner.

2/ Check if the choke is shutting off when fully warmed up next time the idle is high. Choke heater may not be working or the relay that feeds power to the choke heater. One of the inputs to the choke heater relay is a charging alternator. You may have noticed a buzzing sound over to the right of the glove box. That's the relay trying to work.

3/ As long as when driving the engine does not rev up when climbing hills it's not slipping and good enough for now.

4/ Grease leaking out means little. When grease is pumped in some leaks out. The mechanic just didn't clean up. A shake can be tire out of balance or damaged. Swap fronts to back and see. If the wheel is turning back and forth it could be bad alignment or just the combined wear in all the steering components. Raise both front wheels and have someone rock the wheel back and forth through the 'loose' area while you look at everything. The worst offenders is the idler arm but watch for any movement that is not transmitted through any ball joint. Movement in but no movement out. Improper wheel bearing pre load and steering box wear are others, even loose lug nuts.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A/C, but no power steering. Is that what I see in the pic? Looks straight and solid to me. Nice find. The thing I appreciate most about rehabbing this model and this brand is that it is still feasible to find clean and reasonably priced examples that just need a little TLC and a few bucks to bring you a good return, in terms of service.

Nice seats!

Yes AC, which works very well BTW, but no power steering.  I thought that a little odd myself.

• Like 1

1/ There's no ground inside the column for the lights. Power goes to the signal bulbs then to ground to turn them on. Could be worn or need cleaning the dust and dirt out. Maybe remove and flush with electrical contact cleaner.

So pull all turn signal bulbs, check and clean all contacts?  Just seem weird how it works one day and maybe not the next.  It almost feels like it was something physical in the column.  Thanks.

3/ As long as when driving the engine does not rev up when climbing hills it's not slipping and good enough for now.

No hills in Florida...will have to find a tall bridge!!  Luckily we have one or two around.

I will definitely use your advice on the other two items as well, when I get some time.  I'll keep you updated.  Thanks Mike!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I used contact cleaner spray on my emergency flasher switch. On my 720 the switch is on top of the steering column. Good place for dirt to collect.

It took some spraying and turning the switch off and on before the problem cleared up.

• Like 2

So I picked up my first 720 about a month ago.  Back in the old school mini truckin' days I had a standard cab '89 Mazda B2200 and my brother had an '85 Nissan 720 standard cab.  I always liked his truck.  This one is an '85 King Cab white with blue interior (which happens to be the same color scheme my brother had).  Of course back then we rolled lowered with tilt beds on 14" & 15" rims - good times. 

This truck has 90,000 miles and is in pretty solid shape.  The interior is in good condition and the body is solid.  The only rust anywhere is a couple small bubbles at the bottom of the drivers door - and I mean small.  It has its share of 32 years of dings and dents. I've already picked up a couple parts for it, including a set of 17" Titan rims.

Plan for the truck is a slow build as time and money permits.  I plan to get any bugs taken care of first  and then get the truck sitting as I want it to (static dropped on spindles).  I have a vision but its going to be a plan as we go type of build.  Once I get it the way I want it, I will probably tear it all down and make it show ready...or maybe not...not real sure yet.

Some problems I already resolved:

When I first bought it I could barely drive it for any length of time - it had a terrible smell and fumes in the cab.  I thought from the beginning it might be a clogged cat.  I took it to an old school muffler guy here in town and he listened with a stethoscope for an exhaust leak, but could't find one.  He wasn't sure my cat was clogged but I had him cut it off put in a straight pipe and YES the problem is gone!!

The washer pump wasn't working.  I picked another one up from a guy who was parting another 720 and problem is resolved.

IMG_3584_zpsqhocw1xc.jpg

IMG_3656_zpsenrswt8s.jpgIMG_3651_zpsanqnxbdq.jpgIMG_3647_zpsgwn53nd7.jpg

titan rims?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I did a few things to the 720 this past weekend. Like I said in the first post rust is pretty much non existent, but there were a couple of places I wanted to address so they wouldn't turn into problems.  First was some surface rust in the bed.  I knocked it down with sandpaper, cleaned it up with a wire brush and threw some primer and paint on it to preserve it.

IMG_3739_zpsyjad9mjo.jpg

IMG_3744_zpsujqtsqag.jpg

After that I started on the bottom of the drivers door (which is the only real rust to speak of).  It had some small rust starting where the sheet metal folds over on the underside.  Knocked it down with sandpaper, cleaned it up with a wire brush and got some primer on it.  I am still not done with the door.  I may put a small layer of filler over the fold acting like a skim coat to make it look better.

IMG_3746_zpsdmjme4yf.jpg

IMG_3748_zpspvqlpqhm.jpg

My 720 I believe has the 3.7 rear in it, but I have a chance to buy a rear out of a 77 620, which I believe is the 4.375 gearing.  Would anyone recommend this upgrade?   I thought I might want to jump on this while I have the chance.  I would just change out the 3rd member when I am ready to do it.  Is the 4.375 too much gear?  This is a toy not a daily, and my plan down the road is to do some performance upgrades (how far yet I am not sure, but I do tend to go overboard).  Any thoughts?

• 3 months later...

So its been a few months since I've updated this thread.  Not much was happening with the truck up until the last weekend.

I started with removing the valve cover to expose the head bolts and valve train.  With 90,000 miles I wanted to re-torque the heads per everyone's recommendation. I then moved on to setting the valve lash on all valves.  I finished up the night by changing the oil, using the highly recommended Delo.  I don't know if it is the oil or the valve lash adjustment or both, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!  I had a fairly loud ticking and it is completely gone, the motor is very quiet now.

The next day,  I decided to attempt messing with the manual steering box adjustment to see how it would affect the steering wheel play and shake I was getting.  Well with just a quarter turn the play is pretty much gone.  The steering is nice and tight and I believe it may have resolved the shake as well, but I haven't gotten to really get it up to speed to check that.  Again another huge difference in performance with a little adjustment.

We then started on the lowering process by degreasing the undercarriage to get it a little cleaner before taking it apart.  My middle son, who was my helper all weekend, and I then disassembled the rear suspension, did some wire brushing, some painting, and then installing of the bell tech 3" blocks.   I was supposed to receive tires for my 17" Titans on Monday but one of the tires came in defective, so for now we haven't lowered the truck back on the ground to see how it looks.  Tires should be in by the weekend so we can then turn our attention to the front suspension.  Some pictures

(still trying to figure out picture hosting...because of the photo bucket fail)

• Like 1