Z20s stroker and head swap recommendations

Z20_Navara

Hey guys, i've got myself a stock z20s engine in my 94 d21 and was just thinking of stroking it and swapping the head and maybe dual side drafts.......just wanted to get some opinions on what head would best suit the z20s block and what are the best strokers people have done for this engine as well as what pistons, con rods and other parts/mods would be needed.....would also love to know how much power/hp some of these applications are gonna give me......the z20s is slow as fark and if its gonna cost a shit tonne i will just do an engine conversion most likely.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's likely one of them truck Z20S engines, if you want more power find another engine.

If it was a Z20S car engine it likely would be a longrod, they are sought after over here for there high rev potential.

Check your rod length, if it has 6 inch rods(152.5mm), then you have something to work with.

The truck and car Z20 were the same except the truck used a smaller combustion chamber for a 9 to one compression. Naturally it would ping like crazy so a knock sensor was included in the block and an ignition retard module.

Hey guys, i've got myself a stock z20s engine in my 94 d21 and was just thinking of stroking it and swapping the head and maybe dual side drafts.......just wanted to get some opinions on what head would best suit the z20s block and what are the best strokers people have done for this engine as well as what pistons, con rods and other parts/mods would be needed.....would also love to know how much power/hp some of these applications are gonna give me......the z20s is slow as fark and if its gonna cost a shit tonne i will just do an engine conversion most likely.

Stroking is just that, increasing the stroke. You are not going to increase the Z20/L20B crank stroke... too labor intensive and expensive. There is no high performance head for the Z series engines. The design is just too poor to correct and if you could correct some of it YOU'D be poor..

Find a Z22 engine ('87mm bore) from an '81-'82 720 or '82-'83 S110 (200sx). Two ways to go here...

1/.... over bore the Z20 from 85mm to '87mm and install the stock '87mm Z22 pistons, rods and crank. You now have a 2.2 liter 'stroker' engine. Keep the Z head and live with it. Up to 10 more HP than the Z20.

1a.... the above, but install a much better breathing L series head. With larger carb and a better cam 120 HP isn't impossible. .

2/ .... rebuild the Z22 block by over boring and installing oversize pistons and rings. You now have a 2.2 liter 'stroker' engine.

2a.... keep the Z22 head and live with it. Probably up to 10 more HP than the Z20

2b.... Install a better breathing L series head. With larger carb(s) and a better cam 120 HP isn't impossible. .

3/..... rebuild the Z22 block by over boring to 89mm and installing stock KA24E pistons and rings on the Z22 rods. You now have a 2.3 liter big bore stroker. If going with this don't even consider the Z series head, swap an open chamber L series with larger carb and hotter cam. There were early and much later Z22s in the 200sx. NOTE: If you get the later Z22 you will need L20B rods to make the KA pistons work.

I wouldn't try over boring a Z20 (85mm) block out to 89mm. The Z22 block is 87mm so much less material removed from the walls.

Converting to an L series head is more than just bolting it on. You basically have to put everything from an L20B onto the Z20 or Z22 except the block and internals.

Too late, I see you're in Australia. I don't know what's available there.

Couldnt anyway? im on another continent? VG30 still beats a 88hp z20 that you can do stuff all with. Even better too considering you can import a vg30dett from japan for around $1000 give or take a bit, or of course i could do what everyone in Australia does and pick up a 3.8 L27 or another commodore motor and slap it in....might be a bit of work but when you can pick these engines up for next to nothing because every man and his dog has one it would certainly be worth it.....way more options to go with for power gains, cheaper and easy as fark to find parts for.