Inskarkniacs & Asshats

If you believe that your race, ethnic group, etc. doesn't get a fair shake from the legal system a small way you can help is to respond if you get a jury summons. I got called this week for jury duty and Monday morning arrived to a room of 250 people that was a sea of white. Both the cases that I went through jury section for the defendants where not white. Sure it shouldn't matter but if I was either of those defendants I'd be hoping a jury of my peers would include some that looked like myself. The County Seattle is in is predominantly white but far from 100%. Wondering if what I was seeing was the norm I asked clerk over seeing the jury pool and they said that getting the non whites to show up for jury duty has been a long time problem.

Just saying if your not happy with the legal systems treatment of yourself or others then participate and encourage others to when given a chance.

• Like 10
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you believe that your race, ethnic group, etc. doesn't get a fair shake from the legal system a small way you can help is to respond if you get a jury summons.

you go to jail in my area if you don't respond to a jury summons in my area so we tend to participate :).

• Like 1

Isn't jury duty selection a random process selected by computer? 

Yes.

But.

As the OP mentioned, the court clerk told him they have difficulty enforcing the law that requires attendance.

Also, consider that jurors are selected from the pool of registered voters. Since only about half of all eligible citizens are registered to vote, and the majority of registered voters are Caucasian, the majority of jurors will always be skewed that way. I've been called up for jury duty a dozen times or more over the last 40+ years, and the scene I have always witnessed is the same as the OP described. And each time I sat on a jury there has been little, if any racial or ethnic diversity.

you go to jail in my area if you don't respond to a jury summons in my area so we tend to participate :).

Down here there is a simple way to avoid jury duty (if you are that way inclined).

When they are empanelling the jury, just say that "you cant believe the Police would get things wrong and charge an innocent peron; ergo the defendent must be guilty"

Helps if you are a former LEO :)

• Like 3

Yes.

But.

As the OP mentioned, the court clerk told him they have difficulty enforcing the law that requires attendance.

The mailed summons are not sent certified so they can't prove you received it and probably have no funds to try an enforce it.

• Like 2

Yes.

But.

Also, consider that jurors are selected from the pool of registered voters. Since only about half of all eligible citizens are registered to vote, and the majority of registered voters are Caucasian, the majority of jurors will always be skewed that way. I've been called up for jury duty a dozen times or more over the last 40+ years, and the scene I have always witnessed is the same as the OP described. And each time I sat on a jury there has been little, if any racial or ethnic diversity.

Now selected by drivers license as well as registered voters in Washington. Never done jury duty, never will, Called once, got permanently removed from the pool

IBTL

• Like 1

Down here there is a simple way to avoid jury duty (if you are that way inclined).

When they are empanelling the jury, just say that "you cant believe the Police would get things wrong and charge an innocent peron; ergo the defendent must be guilty"

Helps if you are a former LEO :)

that or use Homer's method!

Someone say white devil?

I prefer the term "mayonnaise demon".

tumblr_inline_mm7457fVF21qz4rgp.gif

• Like 2