• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Cars:67.5 roadster, M3, TR6 w/ 302

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Opps! Senior moment.... Wayne did indeed install 4:11s. Which worked out perfect with the dogleg 5spd

#22 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Wow Eric! Thanks for the kind words.

You need to change the wording on your "Ol 320" website though. I'm not a conservative...

#23 ol' 320

ol' 320

• PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Cars:67.5 roadster, M3, TR6 w/ 302

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Oops. Well, after the last election< I don't feel that conservative anymore either.

#24 merlin

merlin

Datsun Scatologist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Cars:p310, v1965 Cedric, 510x2, 70 521, 68 patrol, 65 l320

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Late 1964 & 65 floor-shift trany for 320 and also used in 520 pickup and sedans till Sept 65 manufacture. External difference between 320 and 520/sedan application is machining-drilling of tailshaft mounts. The casting has pads cast for both vehicles. This is my transmission. Non-synchro low gear like the column-shift.

320_Floor_Trany__3.jpg

Bottom-pan trany used  from Sept 65 till end of 520  with J13 engine production. I know little about 520/521 pickups besides this. I'd assume that this transmission will not mate with the L-Series engine in a 521. Sorry, don't have a direct side view handy.

520_Bottom_Pan_Trany_Left_side.jpg

Input shaft on the 320 transmission is 7/8" diameter with 20 splines.  Input shaft on the bottom-pan transmission is 1" diameter with 24 splines.

I used Exedy clutch kit for the bottom-pan trany when putting the top-load (correct original) transmission in our 320 but had to source the correct 8"/200mm diameter clutch disc with proper splined hole to fit the 320 transmission. can't use the disc in the Exedy kit with the top-load trany (wrong center hole).

Merlin, I hope that you have the flywheel, adapter plate, and throw-out collar for the 320 floor shift transmission that you have. Flywheel is same for both tranys. Throw-out collar is hardest item to round up if you don't have it., I found one after a lengthly search and developed a dimensioned drawing of the collar to have one machined from if needed. I can get pics of the boxes with part numbers of the Exedy kit and clutch disc that I used if you need them. 

Steve

I have the top tranny already hooked to a J13.  

'You guys are the drunken, abusive, dysfunctional family I never had' -Elmerfudpucker

#25 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

Are you're rear tailshaft side bosses drilled for mounts like the top transmission photo?

If so, you've got what you need for the 320 for a direct bolt in if you've got the tailshaft mounts.

I have a dimensioned drawing to drill & tap the side bosses if they're not. I was sure to make the drawing before I installed the trany. 

If the tailshaft is drilled on the bottom, it was in a 520 pickup or a sedan.

The clutch lever boot will work from a 1961 MGA Britt roadster.

The rubber vent insert on the other side of the flywheel housing is a tougher one. 

TranyVent_zpsdb14a08f.jpg tr

I may consider working up a mold to cast a few next winter if time outside other projects allow

Steve.

#26 merlin

merlin

Datsun Scatologist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

...so back to this... 

A12 and an A series 4 speed  is what i'm thinking of going with...   

1. I need a shorter filter or a remote filter, correct?

2. new tranny mount( seems easy enough)

3. 65 tranny cover

4. do I actually need to relocate the alternator?

5. do the motor mounts line up?

6. Oil pan cut and reversed - correct?

7. A series drive shaft... do i need to make a hybrid one(take out the U joint and mate the J series shaft to it?, or  will an A series one fit directly to the rear diff if shortened?

'You guys are the drunken, abusive, dysfunctional family I never had' -Elmerfudpucker

#27 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

Oil filter for Toyota 22RE works.

Motor mounts need to be fabricated.

Alternator in stock (driver side) location will interfere with lower radiator outlet. Moving the radiator outlet might be an option.

Cut the bottom of the pan off, flip it, weld back on. Extend the oil pickup tube to match.

No idea about the other stuff. I had a "dogleg" 5 spd in my A12 320 and I made custom mount for it, modified the tunnel cover and built my own driveshaft.

#28 merlin

merlin

Datsun Scatologist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

I also have roadster R16, A12 and J13 rads in good shape... will look at them and see what pipes to where

#29 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

A long time ago I put an A15/dogleg 5spd in my 1965 Datsun 320, it's been over 15 years now, the alternator was real close to the battery tray but cleared, at first I used a remote oil filter, but then I figured out that if I used a 521 idler arm I could use the stock oil filter, but I had to use a "T" where the oil sensor stuck out straight sideways, then the sensor pointed forwards or backwards and I also had a mechanical oil pressure gauge that came off that "T".

I didn't have to make a custom oil pan, and I don't know what the engine was in before I bought it from Dan Hart, I made my own motor mounts from scratch.

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0019_zpseamhrtkw.jpg

The biggest issue for me was the transmission mount, back then all I had was a stick welder and I wasn't very good at it, but as I recall I barely got the mount on the front of the cross member, Bannannahammok actually bought my 65 recently and has it now.

I believe I welded the tranny mount to the cross member, if I were to do it again now I would make a bracket that uses to the existing cross member transmission mount bolt holes that have the 5spd mount plate I need in the middle, I had a custom driveline made as I recall.

#30 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

Unless someone knows from experience, the column-shift floor cover pan may have enough clearance over the backbone of the trany. You will have to cut an opening ( 3" or 4" square ??) at the junction of the cover pan and the cab floor for the shifter to sprout up.I have a photo of the cut in my stuff somewhere but can't find at the moment. If I find I'll post it. With the skills shown in your builds on the forums, you'll have no issue makin that happen.

#31 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Unless someone knows from experience, the column-shift floor cover pan may have enough clearance over the backbone of the trany. You will have to cut an opening ( 3" or 4" square ??) at the junction of the cover pan and the cab floor for the shifter to sprout up.I have a photo of the cut in my stuff somewhere but can't find at the moment. If I find I'll post it. With the skills shown in your builds on the forums, you'll have no issue makin that happen.

I had my engine far enough forward that I didn't have to touch the floor pan, but the shift lever hole was at the very back of the cover where it goes straight down, it was hard to make a cover for the hole to keep the air out.

#32 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Found a couple of pics in the archive. Don't remember where I got these about three or four years ago but might be of someone here's car. 

A couple of floor cuts. Not sure what the tranys are but the concept applies to whatever. 

The photo with the seat looks to me to have more clearance between the seat and shift lever than I took it would end up from some posts that I've seen here. 

The transmission that originally fills this hole is approximately 26" overall length.

Floor_Cut_320_for__Later_4_Speed.jpg

Floor_of_320_With_520_Trany.jpg

Floor_Finish_of_320_With_520__Trany.jpg

#33 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

A12's are unique in that the distributor drive is closer to the front of the engine than on any other A series, so mounting the alternator up high on the passenger side is not an option.

My shifter fit in the tunnel cover, but I did have to modify it to keep the weather out. I also had to heat the shifter and bend it straight so it didn't hit the bench seat.

One other thing, you're going to need to run an electric fan.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics from my PC of my A12 powered 320.

#34 Retyred Rallyist

Retyred Rallyist

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cars:'63 U320, '64 320

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:56 AM

These threads are awesome, I'm about to embark on my A14 / 4 speed into a RHD U320 project here in Australia so all of your efforts will assist me greatly.

Thanks for posting all of this great info and I'll be sure to post my progress too, once I get started.

Thanks

#35 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

These threads are awesome, I'm about to embark on my A14 / 4 speed into a RHD U320 project here in Australia so all of your efforts will assist me greatly.

Thanks for posting all of this great info and I'll be sure to post my progress too, once I get started.

Thanks

You have a photo or two of your U320, if you cannot figure out how to post photos of it, you can send them to me directly and I will post them for you.

I myself have a 1962 Datsun U320, I have a lot of photos of different ones and I would like to see yours to see if it is yet another new one I have never seen before.