1986 720 ignitor

Dmitri

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your truck has dual spark plugs. If one side should quit the other would still start it. Sure it isn't something else?

Well we don't allow buying and selling on our forums but you now can post a want ad in our classifieds... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/7-electrical/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc  .... I guess this is a Z24i engine with the fuel injection.

I don't see a problem using the D21 Hardbody transistors.

My 86 is carbed, finding a good "igniter" is like pulling teeth from a mule while standing on hot coals. When you say igniter do you mean EBCI/ignition control module/module/igniter?

Fuel injected or not? 86.5 is technically a D21 and most 86 and 0 parts are actually 85 parts. Some are fuel injected others carbed.

IMG_20161110_153227798_zpswycceaku.jpg

My truck is says electro injection, it does have the z24 engine. Tried new distributor and the power transistors for d21, neither worked. The transistor ( ignitor?) is next to the coil, plugs in between it and the wiring harness. The d21 version has the same plugs but looks different and just got hot when the mechanic tried it, no fire to the plugs. I'll try posting in the classified section. Thanks for the iput

Two wingnuts holding the air filter on is the electro injection Z24i used after April '85 until the end of the 720 run around October '85 or about 3 months into the '86 model year. Hardbody production began Nov '85. Both use a CAS crank angle sensor and a special pair of coils with a power resistor mounted near it. They look the same and the 720/Hardbody used essentially the same engine set up.

If one is not working the other one should still fire the engine up.

Seems unlikely that two would go bad at the same time so if they are both not working maybe something else

If one not working and a Hardbody power transistor gets hot maybe there is something wrong with that coil? or wiring??