720 drift truck project

Kingcab

So I have a datsun 720 I'm slowing trying to build into a drift truck so fare I have replaced all ball joints all suspintion new clutch new break calipers and rotors made for d21 hard body put drop spindles on it and I'm in the middle of c notching it it is my daily driver and I do not have any other vehicle at the moment I do not know much about building any vehicle but I'm learning as I go with Weeks of research before doing most things.

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun. We have lots of build threads for the 720 and many of the things done to the older 620/521 will also apply to it. When you have any questions, do ask. I have a couple...

What year 720?

Can you post some pictures of your work in progress? ... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

I drift the clover-leafs here in town with minimal mods on my 620. 

2" lowering blocks on the rear, an Addco sway bar on front, with the torsion bars cranked down to even it out with the rear, Bilstein shocks all the way around, 15x7 wheels with Radial TAs in 225-60 for rubber.

It takes next to nothing to drift a mini-truck, in fact it's hard to keep the things from swapping ends in the first place.

The heavier front sway bar helped make it less tail happy.

So don't over think making a Datsun truck slide, it's like trying to teach a fish to swim.......

• Like 1

I've got a 16g fuel cell right behind my rear axle that helped quite a bit with traction and sliding issues. Truck feels much more balanced now. I was sliding the truck around while it was still stock, until I noticed the cracking in the 30yr old tires

the tanks of the pinto weren't designed well, when hit, would come into contact with sharp edges/large diff bolts and the right shock absorber and puncture the tank, the filler neck could also get lopped off after crash and emit fumes that could ignite and there wasn't much metal in front of the tank to absorb any impact. There's lots of vehicles out there with the tank behind the diff, but they're designed differently and safely. The pinto was designed and manufactured in 24 months with no rear crash testing done until after production

• Like 1

Datzenmike) it's an early 82 I' not sure how to post pics yet I'm still figuring this page out haha

Photobucket is kind of involved. My process is kinda simple. It might not be as "secure" because you do not need to log in or anything, but for me it works just as well.

1. Take your pictures on your phone if it has a decent camera; make sure they're clear and semi-decent. People like pictures, so the more pictures the better. Interior, exterior, sides, back, whatever you want .
  2. Send them to your email or plug your phone in to get them on your laptop. 
  3. Upload them to Imgur by clicking the green "New Post" icon on the top of the page. 
  4.  Once uploaded, you should get to this screen. Hover over the image, and you should see a little arrow pointing down. Click on the arrow to get this drop down. Click on "Get Share Links"Uz2c4im.jpg
  5. After getting to this drop down menu, copy and paste this link, and place it in the text of your post. 2uWrEfW.jpg
  6. When you upload your post to Ratsun, the image will appear!
  • Like 1

never really understood why people are worried about their plate numbers being in pictures.

Because they are paranoid about something that is never going to happen. 

they are driven in public exposed.

And this. You drive it around town with the plate exposed all the time. But won't show it to a stranger that lives 1000 miles away. ^_^

If someone is going to steal it, it's going to be someone who lives near you. And doesn't need to write down your license plate number to do it.   :rofl:

• Like 2

never really understood why people are worried about their plate numbers being in pictures.

Me too. It's not like an old Datsun is valuable, and they are driven in public exposed.

Yeah, I guess that's just what I was told to do. I never really questioned it.

• Like 1

It's OK.

My wife has a car with the key fob you press to lock the doors and the horn beeps. She always turns and points her hand at the car and beeps it. They do this in movies too. I said WTF you doing? She says... locking the doors. I said radio waves don't go around corners any more? She says whadda you mean? I take it and put it in my pocket and beep the doors open, then I go in the house and beep the doors closed. I still catch her doing it and smile at her.......

• Like 2

Plausible vulnerability.

Last month I went to the ODMV to update my medical card certification for my CDL HAZMAT/TWIC.

The folks there were all a'twitter (?) about their new computer system.

Quite the upgrade from WIN 2000 apparently , no shit.

With the current influx of wikileak and hacking news, I left less confident of my local civil service employees.

We live in the information age and there is no shortage of hustlers that will spend all day hacking your personal info just for a quick buck.

It's incredible all the personal info I have to provide to the ODMV for my CDL that they leave on a POS hackable server.

Hope things are better above the 49th parallel.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the rear sway bar from dorman on rock auto or summit(cant remember).   We do have a short style tract so speed is a problem for mi.

Gotta do something about the diff as open will make you spin out and harder to initiate the drift. Also need a hydro as its hard to bang gear and pull the funny ebrake.

Make sure your cooling system is in good order Im on mi fourth head gasket and second head.

Up front Im running 195/55r15 on these wheels  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-78-5860R, also there is some rub at the back of the inter fender but a little work and they fit for mi.

Back I have four 620 14in and 8 d21 15in for burners all steel, aluminium would be best for back to help spin the tires. Tires for the back, get the cheapest walmart junker.

4x4 springs in the rear with kyb gas-a-just, saving for blistens. 

Biggest thing is keep your power steering, got mi truck with out it as the person before mi removed. spend all last season not being able to turn the wheels fast enough to complete the transfers. 

Bucket seat.

• 1 year later...