Wideband 02 sensors/kits

willz

I'm currently looking at the AEM wideband kit, I've read good reviews about that as well as the Innovative wideband kit, but since it's only going to be used for monitoring I don't need to worry about data logging and such. Just need accuracy and calibration on the 02 sensor

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a universal Bosch o2, and some pos gauge that just had red/yellow/green lights that jumped around, but it did show pretty close to what the dyno was telling me for an air/fuel... I plan on getting a gauge with a digital number readout on it, i think it would be easier to read .. not really sure what makes one better than another. Interesting in others opinion here too..

That aem one is nice but seems like overkill if you just wanna see what's going on.... and you still need to buy the data logger part if you planned on using that...

The innovative wideband comes with a built in data logger but it's also $100 more than the AEM unit. It's also rated as one of the fastest changing/accurate units out there and I believe it has an option to calibrate/recalibrate the sensor.

Running a single 45 dcoe currently I'm worried about proper settings and jetting as it's been difficult finding any. Rather be safe than sorry

So now to add confusion... I've just been wondering the differences... so the wideband is a bit better and has 5 wires and seems to be found in the newer cars..

A regular heated o2 has 4 wires. that's what I am currently using costs about $30 from Bosch.. that can be paired with a basic $30 digital gauge...

Trying to figure out if the price difference is worth it on our engines.. . I definitely like the aem unit better than the innovative....

The aem unit works quite well, mine has been on for quite a while and readings haven't changed under like conditions. It comes calibrated as well so no free air bs required. It has capability to feed to a data logger if you want. It reacts quickly to even the most minute throttle changes. I'd not trade it for any other brand.

So now to add confusion... I've just been wondering the differences... so the wideband is a bit better and has 5 wires and seems to be found in the newer cars..

A regular heated o2 has 4 wires. that's what I am currently using costs about $30 from Bosch.. that can be paired with a basic $30 digital gauge...

Trying to figure out if the price difference is worth it on our engines.. . I definitely like the aem unit better than the innovative....

The difference is huge. I used the summit lit gauge with a regular bosch before the aem unit. Lit gauge read around 10:1 or so, aem says it's a completely liveable 12.7:1 so it's much more accurate. A nice side bonus is it reacts so well you can keep the afr around 17 or so on the freeway, helps mileage noticeably.

Well everything wears out over time so yes, age affects O2 sensors. So does temperature, they have to be hot and some have a third heater wire to warm them while the engine is slowly warming. This would be vital in a newer EFI car but not for a carb engine.

Altitude affecting the O2 sensor? I don't think so. Altitude does affect carburetor mixture ratio going richer as to go higher. EFI adjusts automatically but carbs are set by the jet size.   

• Like 1

I just want to make sure I can monitor my afr more efficiently, if there's a certain area of the range I'm running lean/rich, I want to know. Especially since I'll be doing a lot of changes to my motor over the next few years, I'll be able to make the appropriate jetting changes