Well, now what am I gonna do with this?

KELMO

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am trying to get rid of the door weather strip.

cjR9KYd.jpg

nbaZwlM.jpg

Been using the tool in the top pic to handle stuff in the door frame but around the rest of the door it is a bit tedious. I have been using some plastic scrapers and even a screwdriver. I would like to not have to repaint these doors and hope to strip off what the PO did with a rattle can. Any ideas other than I should have tried a pressure washer first.

• Like 1

I have thought about that but do not want to damage original paint.  Tried Simple Green with a 3M pad today with mediocre (sp) results.  I guess I could go all Keeper status with this deal but that would require me getting a job, learning how to do paint/body work, welding etc. Oh, and lets not even mention that I have never built an L motor before.

Guess I could put an A motor in it...how effing slow would that be. :rofl:

• Like 2

I tried oven cleaner (Easy Off brand) on one of the rear doors and it went all the way through.  That being said, I am not sure if the PO did any work on that door or not.  I guess I will give it a go on the right front fender as I am fairly sure it will need to be painted.

• Like 1

I've used these in the past with good results:

This for lower part of door below window frame

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03612-Adhesive-Eraser-Wheel/dp/B005RNGN8I

And this I've used in the window channels with a very stiff toothbrush or a nylon brush around the same size. It won't touch the dried rubber of the old seal but it will soften the adhesive

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Adhesive-Cleaner/dp/B00Y957GWC/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1518885860&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=051135-08984

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a can of the 3M adhesive remover that marky510 mentioned in post #33.

Mostly before....

IO9PeTu.jpg

Mostly after.....

OoXQ6AX.jpg

It did a pretty good job of removing some of the rattle can black also.

• Like 2

Yes it was, I think you even commented on how the motor was too high.  Keep in mind, the colors you see above are not a representation of the color of the outside of the car. I do wish the outside was that color.....to have a 1200 and a 510 the same color would be killer IMHO.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, last year in Espanola. Most likely I should not have bought it....but I did.  There is a wagon (or was) on CL (ABQ) that is up here in Edgewood and a 2 door that keeps popping up every once in a while.

The weather is finally getting better around here and I am thinking about going to Cars & Coffee in ABQ this weekend or next, Want me to PM you if I do? Usually one or two other Datsun guys show up.

• Like 2