A ratty ratsun

Trashy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what you did, did you cover the body mount bolt with the new metal and just call it good?

What if you have a reason to remove the cab, how will you get it off the chassis/frame?

I kinda just did it real quick and didn't spend a whole lot of time on it since truck is ratty but it's not bad for a quick floor pan 
20170402_134528.jpg

I don't understand what you did, did you cover the body mount bolt with the new metal and just call it good?

What if you have a reason to remove the cab, how will you get it off the chassis/fram

I cut the hole and welded a washer there for some extra strength even though that's 16 gauge steel, that picture was before I was completely done.  I did that last to make sure everything lined up perfectly 

Well that escalated quickly (no glove box in so glove box door is just sitting there not screwed in).  Had to do some cutting and welding on the dash to get everything to work but pretty straight forward on the dash.

20170411_182444.jpg
20170411_180905.jpg

So your going to make it a right hand drive, what are you going to use as a steering box, you have something coming from Australia or England?

At one point I actually planned of doing this myself, had some parts shipped from Australia but could not get what I was looking for on the steering gear, then life got in the way and my priorities changed, it's not really that easy to change over to RHD unless you have all the parts.

Making them from scratch is time consuming, and your not going to make a steering gear, maybe a rack and pinion setup off something else will work backwards/upside down.

I seen an electric power steering Mini rack recently, but I could not get it to work unless I changed the steering arms to the rear on the spindles, but then the oil pan was in the way, I want power steering on everything anymore.

I want to see how you do this, I will be watching this one.

I have everything except the steering box, but I have alot of connections in Japan and Australia and have several friends that said they'll get me one and ship it to me no problem, but I am going to make a trip down to the junkyard first and check out the 80's Toyota steering box I have seen a couple people use first.

Wayno, could you mount an LHD box backwards on the rhd side and use something like an r50 steering 90 degree coupler to control it?

They look like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121076529483-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

R50 rack and pinion is driven from the FRONT of the rack. The steering column goes over the rack, past it, then angles back to connect to the rack.

Not sure, just spitballing here.

I have 2 RHD vehicles, they have there drawbacks but in the city they are fine.

On 2 lane hiways they suck when it comes to passing, as you have to get that left side of the vehicle way out there to be able to see to pass, it's doable in a Mini as the car is so small, it only uses half the lane anyway, and you can put your body where it would be when driving a LHD, but the left front of the vehicle is still hanging out there, but your still in your lane, barely.

RHD is fun for car shows and if you want to be noticed when your alone in the vehicle, otherwise your good for the car pool lane with a dummy in the left seat, I mean who is going to believe it was a RHD when you just zipped right by them as they see a real person in the right hand seat, but I would not want to be the one that gets caught in the car pool lane with a dummy in the left seat, as that would mean the car is full of dummies.

So you have the RHD wiper system?

I have been looking for a RHD power steering box/gear for a Datsun/Nissan 720 truck for years, I believe they had them on the 720 4X4 in Australia, but no one has ever found one for me.

There is a 720 RHD 4x4 one on ebay right now, didn't notice if it was power steering or not 

Hall Monitor and DP, I have had RHD cars for at least 10 years now here in the states, I also currently have an R32 as well, so RHD does not bother me a single bit, and anyone that has issues driving RHD in America must just be a horrible driver lol.

That is not a power steering gear assembly(the one in Greece), I could have had one of them years ago, but I wanted power steering.

I heard some of the Australian 720 4X4 trucks had power steering as an option, but I guess most them Australians have Popeye arms, so they don't want power steering like weenie armed wayno wants, they tough it out.

But the time has passed on that 521 RHD project for me, it's never going to happen now as it stayed a LHD, and it was sold.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I admire the work you put into it but just me personally wouldn't fuck with it.    Everytime I see someone driving a RHD I giggle because it just looks so funny.  Besides I am at an age where I just want old reliable (somewhat) cars and new fast cars with all the tech.  

You obviously know what you are doing and post great pics so A-OK in my book.  

I enjoy the build more than anything to be honest, I'd rather sit out in the shop, cut, weld, and make crap instead of sitting inside watching netflix anyday.  I'm really enjoying actually doing a budget build for once, normally my builds get very out of control very quickly haha, this one is just time and patience really.  

• Like 2