Long overdue update on Zeke:
I finally got the engine room wiring harness sorted and re-taped. Here it is spread out on the floor, ready to go back in the car:
This is the tape I used, from Summit Racing:
And here is how it looks with the headlight relays and wiring installed:
With the wiring completed, I could finally move on to the final and most exciting phase- firing up the engine! I installed the radiator, fan and fan shroud.
I installed the heater and radiator hoses. I had to order a hose barb for the block coolant inlet housing. You can see in the previous pic a blue Earls 1/2" hose barb-to-3/8" NPT fitting for the heater return line at the block coolant inlet housing. I think that is a 240Z housing because it doesn't have the vertical pipe for the intake manifold water line like a stock 510 housing, which is nice. Not sure why the stock heater hose barb was replaced with the Earls fitting, maybe because it was broken? Whatever, that's the way I got it. Anyway, turns out the 1/2" barb is too small for the stock Nissan heater hose (I had previously used double hose clamps to get it to seal), so I found an Edelbrock 5/8" hose barb -to 3/8" NPT that fits. So here is what it looks like under the hood with everything installed and ready to go:
Yesterday I filled the sump with 6 quarts of Valvoline VR1 30W oil (high Zinc), filled the radiator with 50/50 Zerex Japanese car antifreeze and made final preparations to fire the motor. I pulled the spark plugs, removed the valve cover, grounded the coil and cranked over the motor on the starter to build oil pressure, but for some reason I couldn't get any. After much gnashing of teeth, testing of pressure senders, and dropping/priming the oil pump, I still couldn't get any indication of oil pressure or anything at the cam, so I gave up for the night, figuring I'd sort it out tomorrow. I did not sleep well.
Today was a new day and I felt optimistic. I decided to re-install the braided hose at the block sender hole and see if I could get anything out of the hose, since I knew the oil pump was fully priming. Sure enough, after what seemed like forever cranking the motor (maybe 1 minute?), I got good oil flow out the sender port. Bolstered by this success, I re-connected the line to the gauge sender junction, and cranked her over again, and lo and behold, after about 20-30 sec, the cam lobes started gushing oil. Woohoo! I guess I was just impatient and hadn't cranked it over long enough? But we we have oil pressure now!
I then re-installed the plugs, cam cover, hooked up the plug wires, rolled Zeke out of the garage and prepared to finally fire up the engine. I had my timing light hooked up, a 10mm wrench for the distributor to adjust timing, a screwdriver to set idle speed, a jug of antifreeze to top up the radiator, and a fire extinguisher, just in case. It was the moment of truth. Now or never.
I switched on the fuel pump to fill the carb float bowls, gave the accelerator 2 or 3 good pumps, and hit the ignition switch. VROOM!!! I could not believe how fast it lit off! Those carbs were singing that throaty Mikuni song almost immediately! OMG, I pulled this carb setup off this very motor in 2001, stored 'em away in a box, and did nothing except bolt them back on and here it is, 17 years later, and they are running flawlessly, no leaks, nothing. Amazing. Zeke lives!
Tonight Tequila. Tomorrow we ride...