• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 Crashtd420

Crashtd420

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Cars:1972 Datsun 521

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

What he built can be done a grinder, a drill, and vice. The vice can be replaced with a couple vice grips. Put a piece of metal on either side of your workpiece and vice grip them along the the line you want bent. Start the bend by hand, if you need more, lightly tap the bend with a hammer till it's bent far enough.

If you want to add some extra finesse, round off all square corners. Its amazing how much "finished" it makes things appear. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with an "agricultural" appearance, as tedman put it. Its still a very smartly designed and assembled piece.

Also, if you don't have one, get a flap wheel for your grinder. They will change the whole game pic metal finishing.

Completely agree... and you basically described how I get my stuff done....
And yes I got a couple flapper wheels...

#142 shacks510

shacks510

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Cars:'72 510 two-door

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

That’s a neat heat shield. I made one for my Mikuni manifold also, but a little simpler. Mine is just galvanized sheet steel with aluminum flat stock, mounted just by the two bosses underneath the manifold. I made dimples in it with a socket and a ball peen hammer for the accelerator pump arms. It is sturdy and works well without extra thermal protection. I can touch the bottoms of the carburetors and they are warm, but not hot. I am also running a stock mechanical fan, so that helps blow some air around some.
"FHRITP" - datzenmike

#143 Tedman

Tedman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cars:'72 Datsun 510 (x2), '05 Xterra (VQ40DE Donor?), '62 Porsche 356 Coupe (project)

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

It's been a while since my last update. Motivation has been lacking with the new year, but I'm back at it. Sometimes it helps to step back and take a little breather. Anyway, I achieved a major milestone today and got the engine and transmission installed! Here's a shot of the engine bay prior to install. The last thing I needed to do was replace the grungy original thermal wrap fabric on the e-brake cable. I wrapped it with the same thermal wrap material I used on the underside of the heatshield.

s7h7QFr.jpg

Here's the new engine on the hook:

ZE88doC.jpg

Installed my used but serviceable Tilton 6-bolt 200mm aluminum flywheel and Roadster pressure plate with a new clutch disk:

hIFedMd.jpg

In there, with freshly painted "Datsun OHC" cam cover:

ltkOYsm.jpg

The main things I need to do now are route, wrap and install the engine compartment harness, install the starter, alternator, radiator, exhaust system, and Zeke should be ready to fire up!

-Tedman

"Bolt it up and let it happen" -Anon

#144 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,066 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 AM

LOve it

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good